Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders expressed relief today at the release on 19 February of the editor of the independent weekly La Lance, Mohamed Lamine Diallo (also known as Benn Pépito), who was secretly detained for three days in connection with his reporting about an opposition leader wanted by the authorities. “Even when state security is involved, political coverage can never justify secretly detaining a journalist,” the press freedom organization said. Follow the news on Guinea Guinean journalist’s continuing detention is “incomprehensible,” RSF says GuineaAfrica News April 9, 2021 Find out more Organisation News February 21, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Newspaper editor freed after being secretly held for three days News GuineaAfrica Guinea : RSF and AIPS call for release of two imprisoned journalists April 15, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders expressed relief today at the release on 19 February of the editor of the independent weekly La Lance, Mohamed Lamine Diallo (also known as Benn Pépito), who was secretly detained for three days in connection with his reporting about an opposition leader wanted by the authorities.”We welcome Benn Pépito’s release but we continue to be concerned about violations of the confidentiality of journalists’ sources in Guinea,” the press freedom organization said. “Even when state security is involved, political coverage can never justify secretly detaining a journalist.”The news agency Agence France-Presse quoted Pépito as saying after his release that all the questions put to him while he was detained concerned opposition politician Antoine Soromou, who has apparently been sought by the authorities since an abortive attack last month on President Lansana Conté’s motorcade.The release of Pépito was reportedly decided at a meeting between the president and Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo. The prime minister immediately afterwards met with the ministers of territorial administration, justice and security.The director of security and the state prosecutor told a delegation of journalists on 19 February that they were “giving” them Pépito and they would have done so long before if “he had agreed to cooperate.”Prior to his release, local press associations had decided to launch a campaign against security minister Moussa Sampil, with all the weekly newspapers this week planning to display a full-page photo of the minister with the legend, “enemy of journalists.” Reporters Without Borders backed the initiative. Guinean journalist finally freed after being held for nearly three months News Help by sharing this information to go further May 19, 2021 Find out more RSF_en
RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Advertisement Limerick women kept in the dark over tests TAGScancerIrish lifelife insuranceMartin Duffy Facebook Irish Life Health of the Nation research reveals significantly fewer people in Ireland are happier in 2020 Print Miriam O’Callaghan urges Limerick to fight back against cancer WhatsApp Linkedin NewsHealthCancer is Limerick’s leading cause of death and illnessBy Staff Reporter – February 3, 2018 1974 Limerick Hospital Group had highest exposure to CPE superbug Cancer is Limerick’s biggest killer according to Irish Life.Cancer continues to be the main cause of death and illness in Limerick.According to figures to the latest annual claims report from Irish Life Assurance company. Cancer was once again the main cause of both life Insurance and specified Illness claims for people living in Limerick city and county, followed by heart-related conditions.The company confirmed that it paid out €6.1 million in claims in Limerick during 2017. The report provides a unique insight into the health of the nation, and includes a breakdown of the illnesses and conditions that led to payments by Irish Life of €187.8 million in total to 2,582 customers and their families affected by illness and death during 2017.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In 2017, the average age of Life Insurance claims in Limerick was 62 years, while the average age of those with Specified Illness claims was 53 years.Martin Duffy, Head of Underwriting and Protection Claims with Irish Life Retail, commented; “We paid an average of €3.6 million a week last year to people and families affected by illness and death in Ireland. In fact, we paid 95 per cent of the life insurance and specified illness claims we received last year.”The claims report highlighted that the number of people dying from cancer in Ireland remains high, as 54 per cent women and 38 per cent of men died from cancer in 2017. Heart-related conditions also feature as a main cause of death, with men five times more likely to die from a heart condition when compared to women.The largest individual life insurance claim of €5,075,000 was paid out to the family of a claimant who died of cancer. €146,000 was paid to the family of a claimant in their 40s who died of cancer shortly after starting a life insurance policy.Overall, prostate cancer was the leading cancer claim for men in Ireland 19 per cent followed by lung cancer and colon cancer. Breast cancer was the main type of cancer claim for women 39 per cent, followed by colon cancer and ovarian cancer.More about health here. #BREAKING €2.5 million for cancer patient UHL leads the way on free parking for patients Email Previous articleCall for Limerick public to be part of a sponsored silenceNext articleFour Limerick schools secure places in finals of Dell EMC competition Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie
I’ve never been a fan of the word “admissions”. Entry to a fairground is an admission. The red-faced explanation you make to the A&E duty nurse, as you recount how that got there, is an admission. That getting there in the first place: that, too, was an admission. And in evoking notions of pain, embarrassment and fairground folly, the phrase is also the perfect description of the Oxford interview process. It’s my aversion, nay, dread of the word that has caused me to never step foot in the University’s Admissions centre on Little Clarendon Street. I’m willing to overlook the fact that it looks like a run-down Thomas Cook; what I worry about is walking into some Admissions Anonymous session. “Hi, my name’s Bradley and I’ve been addicted to crack [colloquial term for UCAS Track] for three months now…” I don’t think many people share my irrational fear of the word. I doubt that it is the main reason for state schools’ underrepresentation in Oxford. The job of James Lamming, the Student Union’s access guru, would be pretty easy if it were. No, there are two entirely unetymological reasons why Oxford is overrun with smug columnists with double-barrelled surnames and a penchant for words like “unetymological”. Firstly, and to the detriment of everyone in Oxford who has even the slightest tendency to regionalist ridicule, too few people with easily-mocked accents are applying here. And then there are the lamentable practices of these tutors, who insist on applying their years of expertise in picking the candidates who show the most promise and who will give them the most pleasure (OK, least pain) to teach. Luckily, the change required isn’t as drastic as some fear. All that is required is a standard Oxford response. Namely paperwork. To avoid tutors exercising their good judgement, the Oxford Application Form (OAF – you couldn’t make it up) should be updated to reflect the realities of modern funny-accented Britain. Hit fifty points and you’re into Merton. Twenty and they might spare you a room at Harris Manchester.For example: Which of these groups might you be interested in joining at Oxford? – Oxford University Labour Club (+5 points)– OU Conservative Association (-10)– OU Polo Club (-100)– OU Mugging Grannies To Pay Tuition Fees Society (+15)– Cherwell (-10,000) Perhaps the interview format could be adjusted slightly, just to ensure that you really can’t play polo and you really can mug grannies. (The techniques are surprisingly similar.) But it’s exactly that human touch in the interview process that you can’t beat. (Well, that tutor touch.) I’d take twenty minutes in front of a tweed-jacketed nutcase over application form nonsense any day. Besides, tutors would sooner take part in a mass Macarena than be replaced by forms that do a worse job than them. Of course we can make the ordeal more friendly and approachable for those not used to dreaming spires and the like. You know, T-shirts with “Hi, I’m Dr Smith, no question’s too stupid”. That said, the freshlings will be in for a shock at their first tutorial. But that’s it. Once the myth that Oxonians are hard-working no-mates is dispelled and once the world is convinced that academics are fluffier than blow-dried Care Bears, we can do no more.Yet more is what is being asked of us by ministers, who want every university to financially and managerially support a city academy or trust school. I can’t think of a worse precedent to set (unless they asked us to, say, kill someone). First of all, have they seen how this University is governed? Would you trust your children with the Vice-Chancellor? Secondly, where do we draw the line? Or are we going to have to fix everything for the government, right back to child poverty and social inequality, where this mess began? Much as it hurts, we must firmly refuse to clear it up: we’ve done all we can.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.