Limerick businesses can no longer rely on UK markets, warns leading…

first_imgBrexit briefing told ‘never waste a crisis’ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Product development and new markets driving Enterprise Ireland investment One of Ireland’s leading businessmen, Denis Brosnan, has advised Limerick companies that are reliant on UK markets to start exploring business streams elsewhere.Answering questions for a short video shot at the recent inaugural Limerick Chamber Regional Leaders’ Programme event, Brosnan was in reflective mood as he discussed Brexit and offered advice to local start-ups.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The event was the launch of the Leaders’ Programme in partnership with Dell EMC and University of Limerick.  The programme will see five leadership talks delivered by regional and national business people to 150 participants signed up to the programme.In between the bi-monthly leadership talks, the 150 participants will participate in smaller groups with a mentor, who will be a senior leader from the region who will work with them to develop their leadership skills.Each group will receive a new mentor every two months, ensuring that they are exposed to many different leadership styles drawn for a broad range of sectors. Email Previous articleUHL takes two prizes at national awardsNext articleWin cinema tickets Editor Shannon link to Frankfurt is vital for regional development WhatsApp Facebook Twittercenter_img Linkedin Budget 2020, Brexit, and global economic issues discussed at Limerick Chamber event BusinessNewsLimerick businesses can no longer rely on UK markets, warns leading economistBy Editor – March 17, 2017 850 Limerick Post Show | August 23rd 2019 Advertisement Print TAGSBrexitDenis BrosnanLimerick Chamber Regional Leaders’ Programme Brexit contingency measures for airport last_img read more

Cortese quits Saints

first_img “He has done a wonderful job and we very much wanted him to stay. A search has now begun for a successor. “It is business as usual and we will ensure that the manager, team and staff at the club have all the help and support they need.” It is understood Cortese had been contemplating quitting due to divisions between him and Liebherr, who took over as the south-coast outfit’s owner after the death of her father Markus Liebherr in 2010. Cortese became executive chairman in 2009 after being instrumental in the Liebherr purchase of the club earlier that year, and has since overseen Southampton’s rise from League One to the Barclays Premier League. The Italian’s departure is sure to cast doubt over the future of Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino. There was talk of Cortese considering his position in May, and Pochettino subsequently warned he too would leave Southampton if the executive chairman chose to do so. Argentinian Pochettino, appointed as successor to Nigel Adkins in January 2013, said last year: “I would not understand staying in this role if Nicola was not here. “The person that actually called me from the start, told me about the project and put their faith in me was Nicola. Press Association “I have great respect as well for Southampton, the club and the supporters, but Nicola has been the one that has placed his trust and faith in me. “I wouldn’t see myself in this club if it was not for him. “I think I am a very transparent person, a very honest person. “We are on the same wavelength about the club and the future of the club so it really would not make any sense if I was at this club and he was not.” Having entered administration just prior to the Liebherr takeover, Southampton began Cortese’s first season as executive chairman with a 10-point deduction but soon rose from the bottom of the third tier. They achieved back-to-back promotions in 2010/11 and 2011/12 as Adkins, brought in as a replacement for Alan Pardew, guided them to the Championship and then Premier League. After the controversial sacking of Adkins, Pochettino led the Saints to a 14th-placed finish last term, with them ending their comeback top-flight campaign five points clear of the relegation zone. Southampton are currently ninth in the table and their next match is a league trip to Sunderland on Saturday. The club made the announcement on their official Twitter feed, adding that a search has begun for a new chief executive officer. Club owner Katharina Liebherr, who in a reshuffle becomes non-executive chairman, said: “With great regret we have accepted the resignation of Mr Cortese. Southampton executive chairman Nicola Cortese has resigned from his post at the club.last_img read more

Indian men’s TT squad to train with German team ahead of next month’s Olympic qualifiers

first_img COMMENT First Published: 31st December, 2019 19:58 IST Press Trust Of India Last Updated: 31st December, 2019 19:58 IST Indian Men’s TT Squad To Train With German Team Ahead Of Next Month’s Olympic Qualifiers The Indian paddlers will train with their German counterparts ahead of the all-important Olympic team qualifier in January He said the camp in South Korea was very useful. “It was really a good stint. We had proper training with South Korea’s top players (two in the top 20). I had gone there with a clear plan and am thankful to the Koreans for their support. The infrastructure at the Korean National Training Centre was fantastic,” Sathiyan added. READ | Antonio Brown Rips Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster In Twitter Tirade The Indian paddlers will train with their German counterparts ahead of the all-important Olympic team qualifier in January. The men’s side comprising G Sathiyan (world rank 30) and Sharath Kamal (34) has a good chance of qualifying for the Olympics as a team for the first time. India are currently ranked eighth and just need to enter quarterfinals in the Qualification event to make the Olympics.   “We have a very good chance of qualifying for the Olympics. There are some tough teams like Croatia and Hong Kong. We are ready for everything as the players are in good shape and doing well,” Sathiyan told PTI on Tuesday.READ | Over 1.5 Million Fitness Assessment Conducted Via Khelo India Mobile AppIndian men’s TT squad to train with German national teamThe qualifying tournament for the Olympics will be held in Gondomar in Portugal from January 22.  After the training camp here, the Indians will have a camp in Germany with its national team in Dusseldorf from January 13 to 20.  The 26-year old Sathiyan linked up with Sharath, Harmeet Desai and others at the camp at the Nehru stadium after a week-long training stint in South Korea where he trained with the country’s top players.READ | 2019: Guns Of Glory, Panghal’s Punch And “that Run Out” READ | Rams Disappointed By Playoff Absence Despite Winning Season center_img LIVE TV The Chennai paddler will be leaving to Germany on  Wednesday to take part in the semifinals of the German Cup for his team ASV Grunwettersbach. He said there was focus on doubles in the Chennai camp as it was a key part of the qualifying tournament, adding it is important for the team to find the right pairing. “There was focus on doubles in the camp. Doubles plays a crucial role in qualification as it is the first match in the tie. It is going to be a tricky as the rule is those from the doubles pair can play only in one singles each. We have to plan very carefully. That’s why we are playing here with all possible pairs,” he added. Written By WATCH US LIVE SUBSCRIBE TO US FOLLOW USlast_img read more

Irish bookmaker tax doubles in latest budget

first_img Related Articles Submit Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Share Spotlight delivers Racing Post translated services for Pari-Engineering Russia August 26, 2020 Spotlight ups matchday commentary reach and capacity for new EPL Season  August 21, 2020 In a devastating blow to Irish bookmakers, the national budget was unveiled yesterday delivering a significant increase to betting tax in the country.After much speculation and heated debate, Ireland’s Minister for finance Paschal Donohoe increased the overall betting tax in the country to two per cent, reversing the 2007 budget which had previously halved it to one per cent. The tough news doesn’t end there, as gambling exchanges also felt the wrath of what was dubbed as the ‘caring budget’, with duties on bookmakers match wagers between customers, increasing from 15 per cent to 25 per cent.Irish operator Paddy Power warned the effects will have damaging consequences on the industry, something that’s only likely to be heightened by the lack of progress with the revamped Irish Gambling Bill which has remained in a state of limbo for the past decade.Of the mainstream operators, it’s calculated that Paddy Power will suffer more severely than BoyleSports and Ladbrokes, with the it having the largest footprint in the country, additionally Ireland is home to a further 200 independent betting shops, which Sharon Byrne, chairperson of the Irish Bookmakers Association has anticipated will be greatly damaged from the increase.As reported by the Racing Post, Byrne, reacted to the news: “Over the last eight to ten years we have already lost 450 shops, all of which were independents, of which only 200 have survived, and they are now gone in one swipe of the pen,” Warning of the potentially daunting implications, she continued: “We had 1,365 shops in 2008. We were down to 850 and it had kind of stabilised this year. Now, the 200 independents that were able to survive have no hope. I’ve taken calls from them all morning – they are distraught. I’m calling an emergency meeting of the association for Friday morning to see what we can do.“Fifteen minutes before the minister made the announcement he had just been talking about how important it was to save all the little jobs in the country and provide support to small companies, and then he wipes out these shops across the country.“It will force punters to off-shore operators and black markets. Most of these towns only have one shop and they are going to be gone, so punters will either go online or to the black market.”last_img read more