Prosecutors in the Richard Stanton trial closed the State’s case on Wednesday, leaving Justice Brassington Reynolds to make certain determinations as the matter continues on Friday.Even as a verdict in the matter looms, one of the final prosecution witnesses testified earlier this week that several of the exhibits in the Patricia Sanasie murder case had gone missing.Stanton is accused of executing the woman three years ago in front of her Atlantic Gardens, East Coast Demerara home. He is represented by Attorney Mark Waldron.Accused: Richard StantonOne of the investigators, Detective Constable Samuel Headley, testified on Tuesday that several of the exhibits which he had lodged at the Sparendaam Police Station after he had given evidence during the preliminary inquiry at themagistrate’s court have gone missing. The jury was told that the ballistics report and two warheads which were removed from Sanasie’s body during a post-mortem examination cannot be located.The Prosecution is contending that Stanton, of Princes Street, Lodge, shot and killed Sanasie at point blank range in front of her home on January 12, 2015. She was murdered in the presence of her daughter, who was driving their motorcar.As the elder Sanasie exited her vehicle and was about to open her gate, she reportedly was confronted by a lone gunman, who discharged several rounds at her.The daughter, Ramona Sanasie, told investigators that a “big built” man exited aMurdered businesswoman Patricia Sanasiesilver Toyota Raum, and she saw him twice as he passed and looked at her.Sanasie was reportedly shot to her chest, abdomen and neck, among other areas, and was pronounced dead on arrival at the Georgetown Public Hospital.The matter continues before Justice Reynolds later this week. Sanasie was the former Director of Studies at the Academy of Professional Studies. A year prior to the woman’s death, a similar attempt had been made on her husband’s life. In that instance, she and her brother had been implicated.
1 Champions of Italy Juventus remain keen on Liverpool midfielder Emre Can, despite the Reds demanding a huge transfer fee.The Germany international has reportedly been offered a new bumper £100,000 per-week deal to stay at Anfield, but is yet to agree terms.This has led to question marks over his future and Juve are keen to take advantage of the situation.According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Juve will continue their pursuit of Can despite the Reds’ high demands.Juventus reportedly plan to find a way around Liverpool’s asking price by exploiting his contract situation.Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp wants Can to stay and the longer the contract saga drags on the stronger Juventus’ hand becomes.Can is currently on holiday in California after being given an extended break due to international commitments.The midfielder, of Turkish origin, was part of the Germany side that won the Confederations Cup at the start of the month. Liverpool midfielder Emre Can is a target for Juventus
STOCKHOLM (AP) — European soccer’s ruling body says there will be a minute’s silence before Manchester United plays Ajax in the Europa League final on Wednesday as a mark of respect for victims of the bombing in Manchester.UEFA says “the opening ceremony will also be considerably reduced” in Stockholm after the attack on Monday in Manchester. At least 22 people were killed when an apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as the performance ended.Manchester United players observed a minute’s silence for the victims at a morning training session on Tuesday before flying to Sweden.Victims of attack in United’s ‘hearts,’ Jose Mourinho saysThe victims of a deadly bomb attack were in the “minds and hearts” of the Manchester United squad that flew to Stockholm for the Europa League final, Jose Mourinho said Tuesday.The club’s players and coaching staff observed a minute’s silence at a morning training session, a day after at least 22 people were killed when an apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester as the performance ended Monday.“We cannot take out of our minds and our hearts the victims and their families,” said Mourinho, the United manager who lives in a hotel near the concert venue. “We have a job to do and we will fly to Sweden to do that job. It is a pity we cannot fly with the happiness that we always have before a big game.”Mourinho’s scheduled news conference later in the day at the Friends Arena in Stockholm was canceled at the club’s request, European soccer’s governing body said. The final against Ajax is on Wednesday.UEFA also said it has “no specific intelligence” that the game will be a target, with security already intensified following a deadly truck attack in the Swedish capital last month.“The terrorist risk had been taken into account since the very beginning of the project,” UEFA said, noting it has worked with Swedish authorities “for many months” to plan for the game.Stockholm police spokesman Kjell Lindgren said there has been no threat to the match.“Now, we are prepared for every possible and thinkable (thing) that could happen in Stockholm tomorrow, including terrorist attacks, and we are satisfied with our preparations,” Lindgren said.“We have been in contact with our English as well as Dutch colleagues and they are helping us with information, they are visiting us tomorrow, and we are quite satisfied with how we are prepared and the information that we get.”United vice chairman Ed Woodward, writing in an email to his staff, called the attack “senseless” and pledged the club’s help.“Members of our family of fans and our home community have been affected and we will be reaching out to provide the support of the club in what must be an unimaginably difficult time,” Woodward wrote.Ajax joined many in the soccer world expressing support for the victims.“From Amsterdam with love to Manchester,” the Dutch team posted on its official Twitter account. “Our thoughts are with the victims and the loved ones of those affected.”Fnierop Ferdi, an Ajax fan in Stockholm, said he wasn’t concerned about another attack affecting Wednesday’s match.“We don’t think about it,” Ferdi said. “Let only idiots do what they want. We will always win, sport.”United greats used social media to show support for the northern city of Manchester.Cristiano Ronaldo, who now plays for Real Madrid, posted on his Twitter account a British flag with “MANCHESTER” written across the red central stripe.Former United midfielder David Beckham wrote on Facebook: “As a father & a human what has happened truly saddens me.”Old Trafford, including a club store and museum, was closed on Tuesday.Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany wrote on Twitter: “I would like to express my deepest condolences to the families of the victims. It’s a sad day for the great city of Manchester. #Unity.”STEVE DOUGLAS, AP Sports WriterTweetPinShare0 Shares
17-year-old batsman Riyan Parag, who rose to fame after he helped Rajasthan Royals beat Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in one of their fixtures in the recently concluded Indian Premier League (IPL), has admitted he admires leading woman batter Smriti Mandhana and tries to copy her style of batting.Mandhana is among the few batters Parag admires and takes inspiration from.”My dad is one of them (idols). He has to be the first one. Then there’s Sachin (Tendulkar) sir and Virat Kohli. And in women’s cricket, I’ve followed Smriti Mandhana since she used to wear glasses and play with a BAS bat. I was really young then. I love the way she times the ball and caresses it through point. I’ve tried copying that as well but it didn’t work out,” Parag said on the sidelines Red Bull Campus Cricket event in Jaipur.Perhaps, Parag is one of the few male cricketers who admit of being an ardent fan of women cricketers.He also revealed his experience of playing in the IPL. “I have learnt a lot from my first IPL stint. In IPL, you play with your idols and legends of the game. Just to share the dressing room was surreal,” Parag said.He further said that he doesn’t like to bat in the nets as he feels ‘locked’. “Actually, I hate batting in the nets. It’s just the closed environment. I feel someone has got a hold of me and I am like captured and locked.””Even before the matches, I try to hit as many sixes as possible,” he added.advertisementWhen quizzed about his most challenging moment from this year’s IPL, Parag said: “The time I felt really nervous this season was before the match against Kolkata Knight Riders. I don’t have a great record at the Eden Gardens. Before the KKR game, I’d scored nine runs in each of the three innings I’d played there. So the knock I played that day is the most special one for me this season. I feel pressure brings out my A-game,” he said.In that match, Rajasthan Royals were in serious trouble chasing 176 but Parag (47 off 31 balls) first joined forces with Shreyas Gopal and then with Jofra Archer to leave KKR fans at the Eden Gardens stunned.When asked if he reads about the comments made on social media about him, Parag said, “Yes, I do. I had this conversation with Ben Stokes after the Mumbai Indians match this season, where I did well and contributed with the bat. I asked him if he reads comments online and he said that he does no matter how he performed on the field that day.”You can’t really hide from that. If you post something on Instagram, people are going to tell you things to your face. And you’re bound to read those comments. But like I said, it’s all about keeping things simple and not thinking about it too much,” he added.Also Read | Playing for India my goal, says Riyan Parag after impressive IPL 2019Also Read | Riyan Parag to Alzarri Joseph: Youngsters who brought IPL 2019 alive