US Navy’s Sally Ride completes builder’s trials

first_img R/V Sally Ride, U.S. Navy’s Auxiliary General Purpose Oceanographic Research Vessel (AGOR), completed builder’s trials, February 21, off the coast of Anacortes, Washington.Builder’s Trials for Sally Ride tested various shipboard systems and ensured readiness prior to conducting Acceptance Trials with the U.S. Navy’s Board of Inspection and Survey.The propulsion system, mission-over-the-side handling equipment, anchor handling system, and work/rescue boat launch system were among the systems successfully demonstrated.Mike Kosar, program manager for Support Ships, Boats, and Craft, said: “R/V Sally Ride performed remarkably well during Builder’s Trials these past few weeks. Our entire Navy and shipbuilder team have done an outstanding job in preparing the vessel for upcoming acceptance trials.”Based on a single-hull commercial design, R/V Sally Ride is approximately 238 feet (72,5 meters) long and incorporates new information technology tools both for monitoring shipboard systems and for communicating with the world.Oceanographic Research Vessels provide scientists with the tools and capabilities to support ongoing research, including in the Atlantic, Western Pacific and Indian Ocean regions across a wide variety of missions.Upon delivery, the ship will be operated by the Scripps Institution of Oceanography under a charter party agreement with Office of Naval Research. The vessel has accommodations for 24 scientists and will operate with a crew of 20.This is the second ship of its class built by Dakota Creek Industries. The shipbuilder also constructed R/V Neil Armstrong (AGOR 27), which delivered to the Navy in September 2015. View post tag: Oceanographic Authorities View post tag: R/V Sally Ride Share this article Back to overview,Home naval-today US Navy research vessel Sally Ride completes builder’s trials US Navy research vessel Sally Ride completes builder’s trials View post tag: US Navy February 26, 2016last_img read more

Changing the climate of environmental law

first_imgAfter the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and the ensuing reorganization of the Department of the Interior, Frances Ulmer, a member of the National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling, turned to Harvard Law School’s Emmett Environmental Law and Policy Clinic.She asked the clinic to recommend best practices for regulating offshore drilling. “I leapt at the opportunity,” says Wendy B. Jacobs ’81, clinical professor of law and director of the clinic, who chooses complex projects that will challenge her students and provide opportunities to present their work to high-level officials – opportunities they would get nowhere else. “It was timely, and presented a novel and critically important set of issues.”In a single semester, three students under Jacobs’ direction analyzed 40 regulatory regimes and traveled to Washington, D.C., to present recommendations to the Department of the Interior and congressional staffers. They did such a remarkable job that last year, the clinic was asked to consider ways to predict whether companies proposing to drill for oil and gas in the Arctic would do so safely and in an environmentally protective way. A new group of students worked with Jacobs to develop such a set of indicators. Their report, released in December, suggests ways to protect the environment from the impact of routine drilling as well as major oil spills, and is currently being circulated among legislators and regulators. Read Full Storylast_img read more

New CARICOM secretary-general assumes office 15 August

first_img Share NewsRegional New CARICOM secretary-general assumes office 15 August by: – August 8, 2011 12 Views   no discussions Share Sharecenter_img Tweet Sharing is caring! Ambassador Irwin LaRoqueGEORGETOWN, Guyana — The New secretary-general of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), Ambassador Irwin LaRocque, will assume duties on Monday 15 August, 2011, Dr Denzil Douglas, chairman of the Conference of Heads of Government of CARICOM and prime minister of St Kitts and Nevis, announced last week.“Ambassador LaRocque assumes office as the Community’s seventh secretary-general, with the full confidence and support of the Conference of Heads of Government and the best wishes of the entire Community,” Douglas said in a statement.The statement reads:“As Chairman of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), I am pleased to announce the formal assumption of office by Ambassador Irwin LaRocque, as Secretary-General of CARICOM, on Monday, 15 August, 2011.“His assumption to office follows his selection by the Conference on 21 July 2011.“Ambassador LaRocque assumes office as the Community’s seventh Secretary-General, with the full confidence and support of the Conference of Heads of Government and the best wishes of the entire Community.”Caribbean News Nowlast_img read more

Report: Dauda completes Ashantigold move

first_imgReports are that Black Stars goalkeeper Fatau Dauda sealed a return to AshantiGold just some few hours before the transfer window closed  Tuesday.Africanfootball.com understands the 29-year-old has penned a short-term deal.Fatau was available on a free transfer by cancelling his contract with Premier Soccer League side Chippa United after only two months at the club.Dauda is looking to get his career back on track following some uninspiring performances both at club and international levels.His return to AshantiGold proves how determined he is to get back to playing regular football after struggling at Orlando Pirates and Chippa United respectively.But Dauda faces stiff competition from Robert Dabuo and Nana Bonsu who have proven to be reliable pair of hands.last_img

Golovkin and Alvarez deliver classic middleweight fight

first_imgOSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Golovkin has 19 straight title defences and now needs just one more victory to tie Bernard Hopkins for the most middleweight title defences in a row at 20.Golovkin waited a long time to get his first fight on boxing’s biggest stage in the United States. He has fought in 22 cities and seven different countries but never before in Sin City.This fight should have already happened and Golovkin had to push hard to get a deal. But it was left to marinate until there was no other option for Alvarez, who was fighting for just the second time over 155-pounds.Golovkin wasn’t going to let anything distract him while training for this fight. He even missed the birth of his daughter on September 8 because he was in the gym training for the fight. His wife, Alina, gave birth to the couple’s second child.While Golovkin plans to enjoy more time with his expanding family, Alvarez is going to take several months off.“I am going to rest for the rest of the year and we will fight again next year,” he said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Golovkin is considered one of the fittest athletes in boxing and he needed every ounce of that conditioning and every extra breath of air to withstand the force of Alvarez’s body and head punches. Alvarez says he would use his rematch clause for a second fight against knockout king Golovkin, who has now gone the distance his last two fights. In March, he had his streak of 23 consecutive knockouts snapped when he outpointed Daniel Jacobs.Some said Golovkin was showing his age as Jacobs had an unexpected surge over the final three rounds before losing by a narrow decision. Alvarez doesn’t think Golovkin is ripe for the picking but says he might have lost some of the fear factor.“He has a different power than others I have faced,” Alvarez said of Golovkin. “But he is not the monster everybody is talking about. I didn’t feel that.”ADVERTISEMENT A costly, catty dispute finally settled Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Desiderio ends shooting slump with career game vs UE Canelo Alvarez (L) exchanges blows with Gennady Golovkin during their WBC, WBA and IBF middleweight championship fight at the T-Mobile Arena on September 16, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada.Gennady Golovkin retained his three world middleweight titles, fighting to a draw with Mexican star Canelo Alvarez in a showdown for middleweight supremacy that lived up the hype. AFP PHOTO / John GURZINSKIThree-belt champ Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez look set to rule the resurgent middleweight division for years to come after their 12-round slugfest Saturday which fittingly ended in a stalemate.“It was a great fight,” said boxing promoter Oscar De La Hoya. “This is one of the best fights we have seen in recent years.”ADVERTISEMENT Golovkin, who was making his Las Vegas debut, and Mexico’s biggest star Alvarez delivered on all levels as two of boxing’s pound-for-pound best met at the T-Mobile Arena Saturday in a highly-anticipated fight that was two years in the making.The evenly-matched fight ended in a draw which meant Kazakhstan’s Golovkin would keep his World Boxing Council, World Boxing Association and International Boxing Federation belts.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“We knew going into this it would be a war,” said Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez.Golovkin will earn a $3 million purse and Alvarez will make $5 million.  Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson How to help the Taal evacuees End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MOST READ LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide DAY6 is for everybody View commentslast_img read more

Zverev beats De Minaur to defend Washington ATP crown

first_imgWashington, Aug 6 (AFP) Alexander Zverev says defending his ATP Washington Open title shows growing in strength and maturity, but the world number three still sees a big gap to Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. The 21-year-old German won his third title of the year and the ninth of his career by defeating Australian teen Alex De Minaur 6-2, 6-4 in the 50th edition of the US Open tuneup event. “What a fantastic week for me,” Zverev said. “Winning a tournament on its 50th anniversary is something amazing. This has been a very special week for me. “(Defending a title) feels great and shows mental strength as well. It shows a little maturity I think.” While Zverev stands atop a generation of rising young stars, he still puts 20-time Grand Slam winner Federer, 36, and 17-time Grand Slam champion Nadal, 32, on the highest of pedestals. “Roger and Rafa are still the best out there and still competing for Grand Slam titles,” he said. “I haven’t won a Grand Slam title. Saying I’m on their level wouldn’t be fair to them.” Not since 20-year-old Rafael Nadal beat 19-year-old Novak Djokovic 11 years ago at Indian Wells had the combined ages of ATP finalists been so young. And not since 1995 in Buenos Aires had all four semi-finalists been 21-or-under, Zverev being the eldest. “It’s not only me that’s the future of the sport. I think everybody who made it to the semi-finals is the future,” Zverev said. “We all want to be the best. Some of us already think we’re the best. We all have a lot of talent.”advertisement Zverev joined a list of back-to-back Washington champions that includes Andre Agassi, Michael Chang and Juan Martin del Potro. – Aussie takes ‘proud’ step -============================= Zverev struggled when asked where his game needs work, saying with a smile, “I think I’m close to perfection.” De Minaur, who took only 11 points off Zverev’s serve, could somewhat agree after falling in 74 minutes. “He played some great tennis. He came out blazing and was too good for me,” De Minaur said. “It gives you that fire to replicate the success he has had at such a young age. I think he’s going to be around for a very long time.” It was the second career ATP final for the 19-year-old from Sydney, who lost a final there to Daniil Medvedev in January. De Minaur saved four match points in beating Andrey Rublev in a grueling semi-final to get there. “I did everything I could to recover,” De Minaur said. “I’ll have to get better at it and my body will adjust to the circumstances.” The 72nd-ranked Aussie will jump to a career-best 45th in Monday’s rankings. “I’m really proud of myself. I played some high-level matches,” De Minaur said. Zverev, who needed a fifth-set Davis Cup tie-breaker to beat De Minaur in their only prior meeting, broke twice to win the first set in 30 minutes. He smacked a forehand winner to break for a 2-1 edge and held serve to the finish.- Murray ‘shock to system’ -============================ De Minaur reached the semi-finals when three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray withdrew Friday after three grueling three-set matches in only his third event since missing 11 months with a right hip injury. “To go from nothing to back-to-backs like that was quite a shock to the system. He was a bit beaten up,” said Andy’s brother Jamie Murray, who won the doubles title with Brazilian Bruno Soares. Murray also withdrew from next week’s event in Canada but plans to play in Cincinnati the following week. “Andy is on his way back,” Zverev said. “He looked unbelievable here. It’s going to be great to see what he can do.” In the companion WTA event final, two-time Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova saved four match points and rallied to defeat Croatia’s Donna Vekic 4-6, 7-6 (9/7), 6-2 for her 18th career title. It was the 33-year-old Russian’s first crown since 2016 in Moscow and second in Washington after 2014. (AFP) ATKATKlast_img read more