CDC Image.MAYVILLE – A 90-year-old man with pre-existing conditions has died after contracting COVID-19.The Chautauqua County Health Department reported the death, the 16th since the outbreak started, on Tuesday afternoon.Additionally, county health reported 31 new cases with 159 now active.Of the new cases, seven are in Fredonia, six in Jamestown, three in Dunkirk and Bemus Point, two in Lakewood and Brocton, with one in Sherman, Findley Lake, Frewsburg, Falconer, Silver Creek, Forestville, Panama and Celoron. As of Sunday, there are seven people hospitalized in the county.Since the outbreak started, 1,204 cases have recovered with 1,379 cases total. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
67SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr It’s the start of the new year, and many people are recovering from post-holiday shopping debt and putting together a list of resolutions for 2016. If saving money is on your list of goals for this year, you’re not alone. Money goals came in third on the list of resolutions, according to a report by Statistic Brain Research Institute.Sometimes, keeping a New Year’s resolution is easier said than done — in fact, 8 percent of people who make resolutions are successful in achieving them, according to Statistic Brain. When it comes to money-saving tactics, it’s best to set specific and achievable goals for yourself in order to stick to your commitment, as people who make explicit resolutions are 10 times more likely accomplish their goals than those who do not.This year, plan to get ahead of the game by focusing on financial trends that you can anticipate in advance. Here’s a roundup of expert advice on how to save money in 2016, based on current and predicted events.1. Invest in Your HealthCommit to two New Year’s resolutions at once — vow to invest in your health in order to invest in your financial future. Nate Michaels of personal finance blog HackingYourBudget.com recommended focusing on your health to save money on medical expenses. continue reading »
‘Confessionals’ The organization is due next month to begin three rounds of consultations — dubbed “confessionals” — in which all member states confidentially voice their preferences, gradually whittling down the list.The process, based on consensus, is expected to last until mid-November.But soaring international tensions and growing politicization of picks to head UN agencies and other international organizations could trip up the tentative timeline.Members failed last month to pick an acting chief from among four deputy directors — something that is normally a straightforward process.Brussels and Washington butted heads over whether German Karl Brauner, or American Alan Wolff, should get the job, in what observers say was unprecedented politicization of an administrative decision.Elvire Fabry, a researcher at the Jacques Delors institute, said that “the US veto” of widely-backed Brauner was first and foremost linked to President Donald Trump’s wish to “increase the power play towards the European Union … ahead of the elections. “Making such a concession, even for an interim [chief], would have been too much for him,” she said, adding that Washington might also expect the interim period “to be longer than predicted, and does not want to allow a European to settle into the position.”A Western trade diplomat who asked not to be named said there was concern over how far some might be willing to go to prevail.The candidates themselves appear to be taking the turmoil in stride.”I have confidence in the selection process and look forward to this concluding in good time,” Liam Fox of Britain told AFP in an email.Kenyan candidate Amina Mohamed insisted in an interview that she saw “no reason to doubt that the timetable [announced for the selection process] won’t be realized.” The WTO has already presented a timeline for selecting one of eight candidates in the running to replace Azevedo within a few months.But Elsig warned that “the process is already torpedoed.”It could well be that many WTO members want to wait until after the (US) election, hoping that the administration changes.”Azevedo’s surprise announcement in May that he would end his second WTO term 12 months early forced the organization to speed up its usually lengthy process of selecting a new leader.Three Africans, two Europeans, two Asians and one Latin American quickly threw their hats in the ring. ‘Harmful power’ “It is difficult to measure the harmful power the US is exerting on this process, to know how far they can and want to go to interfere and disrupt things,” remarked Sebastien Jean, head of the French research center Cepii.”I think that is the great unknown.”There is a feeling that the United States will probably remain fairly passive and show little good will until November 3,” he said.Some think the wait could last until January 20, when the next US president is sworn in, before things will move forward.Many say the process has never been so politicized, and some suggest the organization might be forced to ditch its long-held policy of consensus and ask members to vote.That would mark a big shift. In 1999, when members were unable to unanimously choose who should be given four years at the helm, they opted to hand the two top picks a three-year mandate each instead of resorting to a vote.But professor Elsig said such a decision would be unfortunate in the current climate.”Someone with a short three-year tenure might likely be perceived as a lame duck from the beginning.” The global trade body faces relentless attacks from Washington, which has crippled the WTO dispute settlement appeal system and threatened to leave altogether.Many observers fear that intransigent US positions could paralyze the WTO process of designating a new director general, leaving the organization leaderless for the foreseeable future.”The US demands that the new DG shares US concerns, many of which are about addressing concerns related to China,” Manfred Elsig, a professor of international relations at the World Trade Institute in Bern told AFP.”Given that the DG is chosen by consensus, this tough stance complicates the selection.” As Roberto Azevedo leaves the World Trade Organization Monday, the institution faces multiple crises without a captain — a situation experts warn could drag on for months.Any future WTO leader will head an organization mired in stalled trade talks and struggling to curb trade tensions between the United States and China.It must also help member countries navigate a devastating global economic slump sparked by the coronavirus pandemic. Topics :
C.J. Fair was mulling over one of the biggest decisions of his life this time a year ago.Now, as he travels across the country auditioning for half of the NBA, he’s out to prove that he benefited from returning to Syracuse for his senior season. “There’s no regrets,” said Carl Fair, his father. “We knew last year that this draft was going to be tougher but the thing is in the NBA, you go out there and play against top-line guys. “You worry about yourself, when you’re ready and the things you can improve on.”While former Syracuse teammates Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant are expected to be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft, Fair remains the biggest question mark of the three. Draft projections suggest he may have been better off going pro last year, when he was a borderline first-round prospect. This time, though, a stronger class gives Fair less of a chance to go in the first 30 picks. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBut the predictions and mock drafts become irrelevant once the Cleveland Cavaliers are on the clock Thursday night, and Fair’s camp is confident he will hear his name called at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.“I had a chance last year, but I didn’t want to come to the NBA the third or fourth option on my team,” Fair said to reporters at the NBA Combine in May. “This year I was the first option. Knowing how to be consistent, bring my game each day, I think that’ll translate to the NBA.”And if Fair isn’t taken, it’s likely he’ll still get a shot at cracking an NBA roster as an undrafted free agent.“C.J. Fair is probably a second-round pick,” ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas said in a teleconference Tuesday. “Not a great player, but a good one, and a guy that can certainly play in the NBA.”Although Fair led the Orange in scoring his junior year, James Southerland, Brandon Triche and Michael Carter-Williams overshadowed him at times.But this past season, the SU offense ran mostly through Fair. He again topped SU in scoring while earning first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference and second-team All-American honors.Returning for his senior year was worth it, his father said.“I think (his game) improved,” Carl Fair said. “The NBA floor is a lot bigger. It’s spread out, and C.J. excels when he has room.”There is some doubt that Fair doesn’t have the ball-handling skills, 3-point shooting consistency or the ability to create off the dribble to make it as an NBA small forward — the position his father expects the 6-foot, 8-inch, 215-pound Fair to play.Some projections say he’ll be chosen in the second round this year; others think he’ll go undrafted. “I don’t think he was a big-time draft prospect a year ago and I don’t really think his status changed much,” DraftExpress.com’s Jonathan Givony said.Locked into the wings of Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone the past four years, Fair’s man-to-man defense is unknown.Still, the NBA teams he’s worked out for have liked what they’ve seen, Carl Fair said.“He can shoot better than they thought he could shoot,” he said. “Some teams said they think he can be a defensive stopper. He’s been playing great defense and they see him being able to come off picks and knock down open shots.“Nobody has said anything they don’t like about him. He’s been doing everything pretty solid.”By the time the draft starts, 15 teams will have given Fair an extensive look.His length served him well at Syracuse. His highlight-reel dunks proved his athleticism, and he was dangerous from mid-range. But whether or not Fair improved enough in other areas will be revealed Thursday night.“I think competition-wise, I’m really prepared,” Fair told reporters after his workout with the Utah Jazz this month. “I had teammates that are in the NBA now so I know what it takes to get to the NBA. Now it’s about me getting my opportunity and showing teams that I’m that guy.”Asst. copy editors Sam Blum and Matt Schneidman contributed reporting to this story. Comments Published on June 24, 2014 at 5:15 pm Contact Phil: [email protected] | @PhilDAbb Facebook Twitter Google+
Twelve Trojans scored in the first game of the doubleheader as USC, which holds a record of 8-0, beat Concordia uncontested 21-0. It was a well-rounded attack: Freshman 2-meter Mireia Guiral led the team with 4 points, while freshmen utility Bayley Weber, 2-meter Tilly Kearns, freshman driver Alejandra Aznar, sophomore driver Sabrina Garabet and junior utility Maud Megens all finished the game with multiple goals. “As a goalie, it’s really important to run the defense as best as I can because I can see things as they go on from a better angle [than the other players] can, so I make myself talk and be vocal the whole time so that I’m occupied,” Longan said. Thirteen Trojans scored in the victory, led by Anzar with 4 points. Sophomore driver Verica Bakoc, Hauschild, Megens, Guiral, freshman driver Grace Tehaney and sophomore driver Kari Jensen also scored multiple times. Junior driver Elise Stein, Weber, Mammolito, McIntosh, Rozolis-Hill and Kearns notched points as well. Junior driver Denise Mammolito, sophomore driver Paige Hauschild, junior driver Kelsey McIntosh, freshman 2-meter Julia Rozolis-Hill, freshman utility Claire Haas and freshman driver Sophia Lucas all contributed points as well. The Trojans continued their strong momentum on both offense and defense in the second game of the day, securing a 23-0 victory over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. “There were a few passes that we made that weren’t great, and at times we forced things, but for the most part, I think that we made the right decisions and executed,” she said. USC’s 21-0 rout over Concordia Saturday marked senior goalie Amanda Longan’s fourth career shutout. (Emily Smith/Daily Trojan) Although the Trojans dominated in both games, Longan said that they can always find ways to improve their performance. “I think something for us that we did better that we hadn’t in previous games is we communicated more, which is big especially for the younger players to use their voices,” Longan said. “That way, when [Coach Vavic] would call something, we were all on the same page, so everything functioned like a system should.” The No. 1 USC women’s water polo team maintained its undefeated streak at the CBU Mini Invitational in Riverside on Saturday with two shutout victories against Concordia University and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. Mammolito said the team could bring more attention to its decision-making during games. “I think adjusting to switch ups so when we call something, and then the other team counters that with something a little trickier [could be improved],” she said. “Making that adjustment faster is something we could do better.” USC was successful at implementing the defenses they have been working on in practice and also pushing the counter attack and finishing high opportunity shots, according to Mammolito. Junior goalie Holly Parker manned the net with five saves, securing her first career shutout. Longan said communication was also key in the two victories on Saturday. Senior goalie Amanda Longan anchored the Trojan defense with nine saves. The game marked Longan’s fourth career shutout. The Trojans stay in home waters this week in an exhibition game to take on the Chinese national team, which some members of the USC women’s team have trained with in the past. The game will be played on Thursday at 5 p.m. at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center.