Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Kolt Buchenroth, Zach Parrott and Joel PenhorwoodTariffs Hurt the Heartland — the nationwide grassroots campaign against tariffs — in conjunction with the Council of the Great Lakes Region, hosted a town hall this week in Cleveland at the 2019 Great Lakes Economic Forum.The event featured a discussion with Ohio business owners, manufacturers and farmers on the impact of tariffs on the state’s economy. The conversation came one day after President Trump announced that he will be increasing tariffs substantially this week.The group released the following statement regarding the tweet announcement that tariffs on $200 billion of goods will increase from 10 to 25% on Friday.“For 10 months, Americans have been paying the full cost of the trade war, not China. To be clear, tariffs are taxes that Americans pay, and this sudden increase with little notice will only punish U.S farmers, businesses and consumers,” Tariffs Hurt the Heartland said in the statement. “If the President follows through on this threat, the consequences will be dire. Raising tariffs to 25% could cost nearly one million American jobs, according to recent estimates. This decision will also roil financial markets and increase the likelihood of retaliation on American farmers who are facing the lowest income levels in years.”A recent study by the non-partisan economic research firm the Trade Partnership found that if tariffs are increased to 25% it would result in 29,100 job losses in Ohio.Tadd Nicholson, executive director of the Ohio Corn and Wheat Growers Association, talked with Ohio Ag Net’s Joel Penhorwood following the meeting.Listen to the full interview here Audio Playerhttps://www.ocj.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/190507_TaddNicholson_TariffsHurtTheHeartland.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.“Trade has always been a simple thing in agriculture,” Nicholson said during the group conversation. “We know that we can outcompete in production of food in the world. When there is a tariff coming, that means that there is some form of retaliation. The retaliation will quickly affect agricultural products like soybeans, corn and wheat. If the price of soybean plummets, because of a trade war with China, it causes a overproduction of another product like corn, and low profitability of soybean. The impact is compounded. The livestock industry is also affected, because our corn and soybean goes into the feed of livestock animals. “Agriculture needs a win. We are in a depressed economic state. Any benefit we see in the future will come from trades and exports with other countries.”Agriculture isn’t the only industry seeing hard times in part because of tariffs. The motor industry has recently stepped out with their perspective, especially since Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana lead the way for employment in automobile manufacturing.“Twenty percent of employment has grown in the midwest, because of vehicle manufacturing and production has grown, as well as investments from the suppliers,” said Ann Wilson, senior vice president, Government Affairs, Motor, and Equipment Manufacturers Association. “Steel and aluminum tariffs raise the price of domestic steel and aluminum has increased 50% from last year. Most developers are small manufacturers. They have to pay more for their inputs of steel. President Trump has a study on his desk, that has not been made public that could put a 25% tariff on all imported automobile parts. Companies like O’Reilly and NAPA are not investing in the United States, including Ohio, because of the uncertainty whether or not they can make imports. Employment will decrease and consumer prices will increase.”The beverages industry has also seen some troubling results, according to Cleveland Whiskey founder and CEO Tom Lix.“In 2017, 15% of business came from exports to the UK, they were predicted to go up to 20% by 2018. By 2018 there was not a single bottle of Cleveland Whiskey sold in Europe. The tariff causes the prices on the whiskey to be marked up. The tariff caused the whiskey prices to be increased by 50%. Cleveland Whiskey had to fire two employees, because they could not afford to have them,” Lix said. “We buy things from around the world everyday and it is crazy to me that we aren’t encouraging those kinds of trades. The fact that we are manipulating these trade deals and using it as a political tool is absolutely absurd, and it hurts a whole lot of people. Mark my words, the economy won’t stay this good forever. We are making things worse for ourselves.”The group was also joined by Ed Brzytwa, director of international trade for the American Chemistry Council as well as Mark Fisher of the Council of the Great Lakes Region and Farmers for Free Trade co-founder Angela Marshall Hofmann.
Willian admits ‘I don’t know if Chelsea want me to stay’by Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWillian admits he’s yet to hear from Chelsea about a new contract.The Blues turned down a £50million bid for the forward from Barcelona on Thursday, which would have seen £38m winger Malcom come to London in exchange. While Barca are expected to come in with another bid, Willian pledged his future to the club.The 30-year-old, who has 18 months left on his current deal, said: “My future is here. I have one-and-a-half years on my contract left, and I want to stay until it is finished.“I don’t know if the club want me to sign a new contract, but my focus is here. I would like a new contract. If they want it, I want it. I have been here for five-and-a-half years, won a lot of titles. I am very happy.“To play for Chelsea, you have to put your mind to winning titles every year.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – One man was arrested in Dawson Creek late last week after police recovered a pickup truck and a number of firearms that were found to have been stolen.Cst. Jaime Ekkel with the Dawson Creek RCMP said that on Friday, July 6th, officers were conducting a proactive patrol in the Mile Zero Trailer park when officers noted a pickup truck parked in front of a home which had an incorrect license plate attached.After officers ran a search on the truck’s vehicle identification number, the truck was confirmed to have been previously reported stolen. A man and two women were located inside of the home, and the man was subsequently arrested. The two women were requested to leave the property.A search warrant was executed at the home, where police located multiple stolen firearms, ammunition and knives.Prohibited items such as 15-round pistol magazines and a homemade ‘stun gun’ were also located inside the home.Weapons and stolen property were also found inside the pickup truck.Cst. Ekkel said that the man is still in police custody. His identity has not been released since no charges have yet been laid.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court asked the Election Commission on Thursday to pass “necessary orders” on a representation seeking advancing of the voting time to 5 AM from 7 AM for the remaining phases of the Lok Sabha polls due to heat wave conditions and onset of the holy month of Ramzan.A plea in this regard was mentioned for urgent hearing before a bench headed by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi. The bench, also comprising justices Deepak Gupta and Sanjiv Khanna, took the petition on board and said, “The Election Commission of India is directed to pass necessary orders. The writ petition is disposed of in the above terms.” Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghThe petition, filed by advocates Mohammad Nizamuddin Pasha and Asad Hayat, sought advancement of polling hours by two to two-and-a half hours, for voting to commence from 4.30 or 5 AM instead of 7 AM, in the remaining phases. “The petitioners pray for a direction to the Election Commission of India to extend the polling hours during the fifth, sixth and seventh phases of the ongoing general elections, 2019 on May 6, May 12 and May 19, respectively, by 2-2.5 hours so as to commence at 4:30/5 AM (instead of the notified time of 7 AM) on account of the unprecedented heat waves prevailing in several parts of the country and the onset of the holy month of Ramzan,” the plea said. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadThe plea said that Ramzan, the holy month of fasting for Muslims, is likely to commence from May 6, the day of fifth phase of voting in the Lok Sabha elections. It said that during Ramzan, Muslims keep fast and do not consume food or water from one and a half hours before dawn till dusk every day. The petitioners said they had given a representation to the Election Commission on Monday last in this regard, but the poll panel has not responded to it. “On April 29, a representation was made to the respondent (EC) on this behalf bringing the aforesaid facts to its notice and requesting it to extend the polling hours in the fifth, sixth and seventh phases of the general elections 2019 so as to commence at 4.30 or 5 am instead of 7 am but no response has been received so far,” the plea said. It also said that Indian Meteorological Department has issued warnings indicating severe heat wave conditions over the next few days, with temperatures rising up to five degree celsius than normal in poll bound areas of Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana, Delhi, Chandigarh, Jharkhand, Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh. The plea said that the harsh weather conditions would make it difficult for Muslims to go out and vote. “In the intense heat, it will be very difficult for Muslim voters to queue up at the poling booths during the day in the intense heat to exercise their franchise. During Ramzan, most practising Muslims stay up for an early morning meal and sleep after the morning prayer,” it said. “Thereafter, they avoid going out in the heat to the extent possible to avoid thirst, dehydration and the possibility of a heatstroke. Therefore, in the present weather conditions, a lot of Muslim will be unable to go out to exercise their franchise,” the plea said.
New York- Here is what happens when Journalists are under heavy deadlines to be the first ones to beat the world to the news without checking their sources and crossing their dots. A monumental blunder happened and it should be worthy of a correction by AP. This was the case with this mislabeled photo that was published by the giant Associated Press, and is now being picked as is and shared by various news organizations around the world. Above the picture the headline in bald letters screams error of the first kind: “King Mohamed VI of Morocco, left, and FIFA president Joseph Sepp Blatter”. Below the headline the time and date stamp of the news release with the name Matthias Shraeder December 21, 2:03 PM AP Sports. The following caption was written below the picture: “King Mohamed VI. of Morocco, left, and FIFA president Joseph Sepp Blatter arrive for the third place soccer match between Guangzhou Evergrande FC and Atletico Mineiro at the Club World Cup tournament in Marrakech, Morocco, Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)” The person in the picture is Not the King of Morocco but the Moroccan Minister of Youth and Sports Mr. Ouzzine and the person next to him was correctly identified as the President of FIFA Mr. Joseph Sepp Blatter.King Mohammed appears in the following picture along with FIFA president entering the pitch of Marrakech stadium. Mistakes like this tend to happen in the news world, but not one of this reckless nature. Hopefully AP will realize this blunder and correct the caption.
Alexandre Lacazette will become a key figure at Arsenal if they look to “build around” him, says former defender Martin KeownThe French striker has struggled to make a significant impact at Arsenal following his £46.5m from Lyon last year.As a consequence, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was brought over to the Emirates from Borussia Dortmund for a club record fee of £56m and has since established himself as the Gunners’ main frontman.But Lacazette has impressed under new manager Unai Emery, despite the majority of his appearances coming from the bench this season.Keown told the Daily Mail: “I think special mention has to go to Alexandre Lacazette.“How patient has that man been? His attitude has been impeccable.“He failed to make the French squad for the World Cup then watched from afar as they went on to lift the trophy in Russia.“Emery used him as a substitute in his first three Premier League matches, then he finally gets to start against Cardiff.“So what does he do? He goes and scores the winner. Lacazette now has to play and be the person they build around. Full credit to him.”?? ALEXANDRE LACAZETTE ??? Angle after angle after angle… pic.twitter.com/cL32ouu7tnVidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) September 5, 2018Although Keown admits that Emery has some more pressing matters to contemplate during the international break.The Spaniard has lost two of his opening four league games in charge of Arsenal.Keown added: “Emery now has his chance to reflect during the international break. This is a period of calm for the new head coach.“If I was in his staff, I’d be saying we need to consider making a change to the system.“Arsenal’s centre-backs Shkodran Mustafi and Sokratis aren’t really the best in possession of the ball.“Emery has very creative players who play further up the pitch but he needs a figure who can sit in deep midfield. Lucas Torreira could be that man and he could then help the back two out.“It can sometimes feel like we’re watching a youth team whose players are trying to be developed into passers.“Manchester City play 4-1-2-3, with a deep midfielder and two creative players either side. That may be the way for Emery to go.”Arsenal will be back in action on September 15 away to Newcastle United.
Let’s talk about the great match that Cristiano Ronaldo had this Saturday against Napoli, he didn’t score a goal but was Juventus’ man of the match.After a rocky start on his new spell for Juventus in Serie A, Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo finally felt like himself during this Saturday’s match against Napoli and he didn’t even feel the need to score a goal. It was the most crucial match of the month for the Italian giants, they were going to clash against the one club that could virtually threaten them on their intentions to win the eighth consecutive Serie A title.Napoli was coming in great shape with their new manager Carlo Ancelotti completely killing it since the start of the competition, but Juventus now has Cristiano Ronaldo and this was the perfect day for him to prove that he really came to give his best in order to keep enlarging his already astronomical legend in world football.The match began with a complicated setback for the Vecchia Signora as Dries Mertens opened the scoreline during the first half after a Jose Callejon assist, Juventus needed to come back from behind in order to get those three points and Cristiano was fortunately having an inspiring day. He was playing his best football coming from both sides of the field, Massimiliano Allegri already reckoned that Ronaldo is reaching that sweet spot and he gave him a free pass to roam all around the field.📹 Re-live tonight’s #JuveNapoli win 🔛 #JuventusTV ➡️ https://t.co/w0hFSIAFZD 💪 pic.twitter.com/9RJwqkCuZr— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) September 29, 2018Cristiano started with a bang during the first half by responding to Napoli’s opener with an excellent cross to Mario Mandzukic’s head, the Croatian striker was perfectly positioned for that clinical assist from the Portuguese player and Juventus started cruising from that moment forward. Before halftime, Cristiano was very close to scoring his goal from a free kick that the goalkeeper could barely reject and the other Juventus players didn’t get there in time to score on the rebound.But the best from Ronaldo was saved for the second half, which was when he really did unleash his best football and Carlo Ancelotti wasn’t able to come up with a plan to stop him. Suddenly after the break, the Napoli players realized that Cristiano Ronaldo was being multiplied as he appeared absolutely everywhere on the field in almost every single play.It was only a matter of time before Juventus would get ahead in the scoreline as they were virtually the only team on the pitch during the second half, all thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo’s stellar performance. This was officially the game in which Italy welcomed the best version of the Portuguese player, and he didn’t even need to score a goal.Juventus confirm Mario Mandzukic could leave this month Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed reports that Mario Mandzukic could leave Juventus for a move to an unnamed Qatari team.Playing a part in all 3️⃣ goals tonight 🔥🔥🔥#CR7JUVE 👏👏 #ForzaJuve ⚪️⚫️ #JuveNapoli pic.twitter.com/gzMgTmZxIp— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) September 29, 2018The next big moment in the second half came as Paulo Dybala attempted to take a ball in the final third but got on Ronaldo’s path, he left the ball to the Portuguese forward and Cristiano released a potent long-range strike that hit the post and rebounded. Fortunately for Juventus during that play, Mandzukic and his killer instinct were very close to the goalkeeper and he just needed to get in there to push the ball in for his second of the night thanks to the number ‘7’ once again.Near the end of the match, there was a corner kick that Cristiano managed to connect with his head, but the strike was going outside and Leonardo Bonucci was forced to intervene to make the goal count. Just like that, Cristiano Ronaldo was directly involved in all of Juventus’ three goals with an assist on each of them but he only intended to do that on the first goal. The other two assists will count as such but Ronaldo really attempted to score, only he wasn’t lucky enough to do so.Either way, Cristiano was very happy with the result and mostly with his influence in what is the most important game of the season for Juventus so far. Juve goes six points clear of Napoli with this result, all thanks to Ronaldo.Which of Juventus’ goals did you like the most against Napoli? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.
Lille sporting director Luis Campos has broken silence over the future of rumoured Arsenal target Nicolas Pepe.Pepe, a 23-year-old pacey Ivorian winger has notched 12 goals and 5 assists across 19 league appearances for Lille.Coach of Premier League outfit Arsenal Unai Emery is having his sights set on attacking additions for the January transfer window and is he is hoping to sign the African dynamo.Speaking in an interview with Telefoot via 101greatgoals, Lille sporting director Luis Campos was unsurprisingly questioned on the future of his side’s star man.‘‘I hope he will stay this winter. We’ll do everything to keep him.’’Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…‘‘All the top clubs in the world have their eyes on him, and that’s normal, but the president has been clear.’’‘‘The idea is for him to continue at the club.’’‘‘In contrast, with my experience in football, I would say that if a club arrives with a big number and can convince the player… I would sell him for €80 million.’’‘‘That’s the price tag, but you’d have to convince the player and he’s been a big part of us being in second place.’’