Human Rights Watch (HRW) has acknowledged that human rights in Colombia have improved, according to the organization’s director for the Americas, José Miguel Vivanco, who met with President Juan Manuel Santos. “The objective of this meeting was to engage in dialogue with the president on some human rights issues, and of course, to acknowledge to President Santos that the country has improved in its political climate, public debate, in all kinds of things, obviously including human rights,” the director told reporters after exiting the meeting. Vivanco also highlighted a law signed by Santos in June and intended to provide reparations to victims of the country’s internal armed conflict and also to restore lands to rural workers displaced by extreme right-wing paramilitary groups, leftist guerrilla groups, and drug traffickers. “We’ve also celebrated the approval of the ‘Victims Act.’ We made some comments to the president in relation to that law. We’re very interested in seeing that those who are going to benefit from the act’s implementation can invoke it without risk to their safety,” Vivanco said. Santos’s administration has acknowledged that the return of land faces great difficulties, because groups on both the extreme right and the left want to prevent it. At least ten rural leaders calling for the return of land have been murdered in the last year, since Santos sent the draft of that act to Congress for its approval. Vivanco said that this is a very difficult issue, because “it’s necessary to confront the criminal gangs, the armed groups that terrorize rural workers who have been displaced from their lands in the course of this whole conflict” and who should be placed in a position in which they have a real opportunity to exercise their rights. By Dialogo October 13, 2011
– Advertisement – Mr. Krebs’s team worked with states to scan and patch systems for vulnerabilities, lock up voter registration databases and voter rolls, change default passwords, turn on two-factor authentication, and print out paper backups, all to build up “resilience” in case of attack. He was protecting, he said, “the crown jewels of election administration.”When the pandemic upended everything, Mr. Krebs’s team shifted focus to securing vote-by-mail systems, despite the president’s campaign again them. That was when Mr. Krebs’s agency got in the White House’s cross hairs.- Advertisement – In interviews, Mr. Krebs countered Mr. Trump by saying mail-in voting would make the election more secure by creating a paper trail, critical for audits to establish that every legal ballot was correctly counted.It also made state registration databases more critical: an attack that froze or sabotaged voter-registration data — by switching addresses, marking registered voters as unregistered or deleting voters entirely — risked mass digital disenfranchisement. Mr. Krebs made it his personal mission to see to it that every last registration database was sealed up.When Mr. Trump called mail-in voting a “fraud” in his televised debate with Mr. Biden, now the president-elect, in September, Mr. Krebs contradicted the president at every turn, again without mentioning his name.- Advertisement – “We’ve got a lot of confidence that the ballot’s as secure as it’s ever been,” Mr. Krebs told any reporter who asked.On Election Day, Mr. Krebs and senior officials held briefings with reporters every few hours to apprise them of any threats. Chad Wolf, the secretary of homeland security, a Trump loyalist and Mr. Krebs’s boss, even appeared at one to praise Mr. Krebs’s work. Despite small hiccups, Mr. Krebs reassured journalists that there was no major foreign interference or signs of systemic fraud.“It’s just another Tuesday on the internet,” he said.- Advertisement –
The Wales Rally GB has become the latest race in the world rally championship to be called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.The rally was scheduled for Oct. 29-Nov. 1. It was to be the penultimate event of the season.It’s the seventh WRC race to be postponed or canceled.Organizers say the uncertainty over large gatherings and international travel prompted the decision to cancel the Wales Rally GB for the first time since 1967.___ Organizers say they cannot overcome “uncertainty concerning the opening of borders” with Asia and the United States.Tournament chairman Franck Riboud says the cancellation is “unavoidable in view of the situation with regards to U.S. travel to continental Europe.”The Women’s British Open is still set for Aug. 20-23 in Troon, Scotland.The three majors played in the United States have been rescheduled for later in the year.___ The Georgia Tech coach also said the pandemic has forced him to change his philosophy on scheduling. The Yellow Jackets are likely to pick up more regional opponents as a way to cut down on costs, which is the reason they agreed to multi-year series with Georgia State, another Atlanta-based school that is only a few miles from the Tech campus, and UAB in neighboring Alabama.“We’re being nimble with our scheduling and what we have to do based on Covid-19,” Pastner said. “That’s really important budget-wise.”___The regular seasons in the third and fourth divisions of English soccer have been cut short because of the coronavirus pandemic.The English Football League says clubs “voted by an overwhelming majority” to end the season and the final standings have been calculated using an unweighted points-per-game basis. June 9, 2020 Associated Press Georgia Tech’s Josh Pastner is among those pushing to allow coaches to work with their players in July in the wake of the coronavirus shutdown, a change from voluntary summer workouts.The Yellow Jackets are reopening their athletic facilities on June 15 for Atlanta-based athletes to work out in small groups, but the sessions must be voluntary.Pastner said it’s important that basketball coaches be allowed to oversee the workouts beginning in July, given they haven’t been around their players since the pandemic brought sports to a halt in mid-March.“Our feeling is, ‘Why have the guys back on campus if they’re not able to work with the coaches in the gym?’” Pastner said.The NCAA’s Division I Council is set to take up the proposal at its June 17 meeting, according to Pastner. If it fails to pass, coaches will have to wait until classes begin in August to oversee players workouts. The league was canceled with Paris Saint-Germain declared champion. Lyon finished outside the European places in seventh.The Conseil d’Etat ruled that there was “no serious doubt as to the legality of the decision” to end the season prematurely. But it suspended the relegation of Amiens and Toulouse and ordered the French league to rethink the format of the 2020-21 season.___The Evian Championship women’s major golf tournament has been canceled because of the coronavirus outbreak.The event in France had already been postponed from July to Aug. 6-9. The mayor of Madrid says there are discussions for the Spanish capital to host the Champions League final this season amid the coronavirus pandemic.José Luis Martínez-Almeida says the city would be prepared to host the final for the second straight year. He did not elaborate on the negotiations in his interview with 13tv.A UEFA executive committee meeting on June 17 is expected to decide the new location for the final in August. It was originally scheduled to be played in Istanbul in May.The country hosting the final is also expected to stage the quarterfinals and semifinals.German city Frankfurt and Portuguese capital Lisbon are also likely contenders to host the final. The Latest: National Soccer Hall of Fame to reopen Wednesday The framework retained promotion, relegation and the traditional four-team playoffs.Coventry and Rotherham have been promoted to the second division and Wycombe, Oxford, Portsmouth and Fleetwood will contest the playoffs.___France’s highest administrative court has upheld the decision to cancel the rest of the soccer season amid the coronavirus pandemic and suspended the relegations of Amiens and Toulouse to the second division.The Conseil d’Etat issued its ruling after Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas and the two demoted clubs took the case to court last month in a bid to force the league to play the remaining 10 matches of the aborted season. Spain was hard-hit by the pandemic but has been gradually lifting confinement restrictions.Madrid hosted last year’s final when Liverpool beat Tottenham.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The museum in Frisco, Texas, will reopen to the public Wednesday at 50% of its usual capacity. It has been closed since March 13 because of the coronavirus pandemic.Facemasks will be encouraged but not required for guests, but social distancing protocols are required for all individual guests and groups.Only one group of guests will be allowed to use each interactive exhibit at a time, though some interactive exhibits like virtual reality won’t be available. Staff will be sanitize interactive experiences after each use, and the facility with be thoroughly cleaned each evening.The hall opened to the public in North Texas in November 2018 after being located in Oneonta, New York, from 1983-2010.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The National Soccer Hall of Fame is reopening for the first time in nearly three months.
Sky Sports on Wednesday suspended Carragher from his job as TV pundit until the end of the season, a role reportedly worth £1 million ($1.4 million) a year.“Jamie has taken full responsibility for what has happened and we will ensure he gets the help he needs to guarantee something like this never happens again,” said a Sky Sports statement.A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Police said: “A police investigation has been launched and the owner of the footage has been spoken to. Attempts are being made to speak to all parties involved.”Sky, which holds the bulk of British television rights to Premier League matches, hinted that Carragher could return to TV screens next season.“Before the start of the next season we will sit down with Jamie to discuss whether he is ready to return to his role,” the statement said.Carragher, 40, apologised to the family and described his behaviour as a “moment of madness”, although he said he had not seen the girl in the front of the car.“I have already said I take responsibility for what happened. It was a moment of madness and I’m going to speak to the relevant people to ensure something like this never happens again. Again apologies all round,” Carragher posted on Twitter on Wednesday.Carragher has also been backed by high-profile colleagues, including former Manchester United captain Gary Neville, who has formed a highly regarded punditry team with Carragher at Sky. “He’s massively passionate about football and he’s overstepped the mark and shouldn’t have reacted,” Neville tweeted.“I’ve been on TV for 3 years with him and this isolated incident shouldn’t stop us working together.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000British police are probing a spitting incident involving TV football pundit Jamie Carragher © AFP/File / PAUL ELLISLondon, United Kingdom, Mar 14 – British police said Wednesday they were probing a spitting incident involving TV football pundit Jamie Carragher as broadcaster Sky Sports suspended the former Liverpool and England defender for the rest of the season.Carragher was filmed leaning out of the driver’s window of his Range Rover before spitting at a car containing a Manchester United fan, hitting the driver’s 14-year-old daughter in the face after some goading following Liverpool’s 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford on Saturday.