The Italian, well known to English fans after a successful stint with Chelsea, has been linked to the role. He is a popular figure in the Spanish capital, though, and could, over the coming weeks, add the Champions League and Primera Division titles to the Copa del Rey he has already won. Speaking at Los Blancos’ media conference ahead of their clash with Osasuna he said: “I’m happy here at Real Madrid. I am lucky to be working at the best club in the world and my place is here. “I respect Man United a lot. I was disappointed for David Moyes, but my place at the moment is here.” Ancelotti, 54, is a renowned coach around the world, having won the Champions League and domestic honours with AC Milan, while also winning titles with Chelsea and Paris St Germain. Press Association Sport understands it is highly unlikely United will announce Moyes’ successor this weekend. Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward is expected to continue discussions with his fellow board members over the next few days as they attempt to come to a consensus on who they want to take charge. United have been discussing potential transfer deals with several players over the last few weeks, but those targets are unlikely to sign until they learn the identity of the new manager. Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has categorically ruled out the prospect of a move to Manchester United while his successor at Real Madrid, Carlo Ancelotti, has distanced himself from a return to England. “Of course not,” Mourinho said. “I don’t know how can somebody think about it. “I left Real Madrid to come specifically to Chelsea, I signed a four-year contract with Chelsea. “I told Chelsea that they never have to worry about me because I don’t want to leave. I stay here until the club wants me to stay. “(No) job would move me from Chelsea.” Mourinho expressed regret at Moyes’ departure earlier this week and has since spoken to the former Everton boss. “I spoke with David privately and I don’t have to share with you,” Mourinho added. Meanwhile, Real boss Ancelotti is similarly adamant he will not be leaving Spain to replace Moyes. Mourinho has often been linked with Old Trafford throughout his hugely successful career and was touted as a possible successor to Sir Alex Ferguson as the years wound down on the Scot’s career. Now there is a vacancy at United for the second time in 11 months, but Mourinho, who returned to Chelsea last summer after a near six-year absence, is adamant he is not a contender to succeed David Moyes. Press Association
As part of the engagements on International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, the European Union (EU) on Tuesday hosted a forum, where several stakeholders called for more provision to be made for teenage mothers who might not necessarily be able to provide for their newborns, which in turn leaves them at risk of being abused.Representative from Women Across Differences, Hazel Halley-BurnettThe meeting saw representatives from various agencies, especially the Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) Women Across Differences (WAD) calling for more provision to be put in place for teenage mothers to take care of their newborns, by not only Government but other NGOs as well.A representative from the organisation, Hazel Halley-Burnett shared, “If you are not economically strong, you are open to violence, if you get your little pittance, then you will not be treated as second class in your own homes.”Halley-Burnett explained that it was on account of this belief that the organisation usually helped young women to be trained in making craft items to sell, so as to have at least a “small piece”.While speaking to the need for both Government and Private Sector intervention, the representative related, “I’ve seen we’ve prepared cradles and different things and when feeding time (comes), you want to know if is trench water they put in the bottles … you know what they put in there – water with sugar…no milk, nothing and they come to us and sometimes we of our own kindness provide some milk to give them.”While responding to a question posted by Guyana Times, she says she believes that not only Government but other NGOs should play a role in supporting teenage mothers who may not be able to take care of their child or children by themselves.“NGOs with the kind of economic resources can help because it’s not always money. Government has indicated in the past (that) they’ve done several things for mothers at clinics providing subsidies and all of that. It doesn’t happen now, but we hope that that can (through) the Ministry of (Public) Health can be able to introduce that again, so as to help not only teen mothers but women in their reproductive rights,” Halley-Burnett explained.The programme hosted by the EU on Monday was in observance of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.According to a United Nations report one in three women and girls experience physical or sexual violence in their lifetime, most frequently at the hands of an intimate partner. Only 52 per cent of women married or in a union freely make their own decisions about sexual relations, contraceptive use and health care. Worldwide, almost 750 million women and girls alive today were married before their 18th birthday; while 200 million women and girls have undergone female genital mutilation (FGM). More alarmingly, one in two women killed worldwide were killed by their partners or family in 2012; while only one out of 20 men were killed under similar circumstances.
GOODYEAR, Ariz. – The Drake University men’s golf team completed the second round of the Loyola Intercollegiate on Monday. The Bulldogs registered a 305 on the second day for a total score of 597 (292-305) through 35 holes and are in 16th-place.”The course played more difficult today due to challenging pins and I also felt the 90-degree temperature was a factor as well,” Drake head coach Matt Lewis said. “We played well on our first nine and we were under par as a team but struggled on the second nine. Blake (Huser) and Drew (Ison) again played pretty well. Blake had one bad swing that cost him two or three strokes. As a team, we needed a third and fourth score.”For the second-straight day, sophomore Drew Ison led the Bulldogs, shooting a one-over par 73 and is tied for 18th-place with a score of 143 (70-73). Senior Blake Huser carded a 75 on the second day for a total score of 147 (72-75), while sophomore Matt Lavery recorded the team’s third-best round of the day, firing a 78 for a total score of 154 (76-78). Freshmen Tommi Avant and Jack Kennedy each shot a 79 and are tied with Lavery with a score of 154 (75-79) through 36 holes.”Our goal tomorrow is to finish with our lowest team score for the tournament,” Lewis said.The Bulldogs are set to play the final round of the Loyola Intercollegiate and wrap up their first tournament of the spring season on Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. local time.Print Friendly Version
Charles Johnson, the principal owner of the San Francisco Giants, owes fans a better explanation for his contributions to a senator from Mississippi who has come under fire for her racist remarks.Transparency is the price of doing business in the world of major league sports, especially here in the Bay Area where residents care deeply that they don’t lend financial support to bigotry.Charles JohnsonJohnson and his wife, Ann, each donated the maximum $2,700 to the campaign of U.S. Sen. Cindy …
After nine years of disappointment, former Raiders coach Tom Flores moved one giant step closer Thursday night to possible induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.The two-time Super Bowl-winning coach and 49ers general manager John Lynch, a former safety, were among the15 modern era finalists for induction in Canton, Ohio, the Hall of Fame announced.“It’s exciting. But I don’t even know how to act,” Flores said by phone. “I’ve never been this far before. People say, ‘How do you feel?’ …
For now, Warriors coach Steve Kerr is sticking to sports when it comes to commenting on Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey.Kerr, arguably the most socially conscious coach in professional sports, hesitated Monday night to jump into the international debate created by Morey’s tweet about China that also compromised the NBA’s massive business interests in that country.When asked if he had a reaction to Morey’s tweet supporting Hong Kong protesters in their ongoing battle with the …
Boeing has unveiled a 747-8 Freighter painted in the livery of the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks to urge the team on in the upcoming Super Bowl XLVIII this Sunday.Boeing is a sponsor of the Seattle Seahawks and has partnered with the team for more than a decade on programs in the Puget Sound area.”The Seahawks have been an inspiration to our entire community throughout this incredible season,” said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Ray Conner. “We’re honored that we could join together two Northwest icons, the Seahawks and the 747, for this special salute from the entire Boeing team.”This 747-8 is owned by Boeing and currently being used for flight testing. The special livery features the distinctive Seahawks logo and a “12” on the tail to salute the team’s fans. The airplane will make its first flight in its new livery on Thurs, January 30.And with such an event comes some fascinating comparison and stats.One of the most fascinating – and believable for anyone who has been to a Sea Hawks game – is that the crowd noise from the Sea Hawks fans is an incredible 38 times louder than a 747 at take-off.The other is that Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson’s longest pass this season, 80 yards (240 ft.), was almost the same length as a 747-8 fuselage (243.5 ft.)”The 747 team is proud that one of our airplanes could be used as a tribute to the Seahawks’ success this season and a rallying cry for the team as they prepare for the Super Bowl,” said Eric Lindblad, vice president and general manager, 747 program, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.”The partnerships we have with the Seahawks and others are making a positive difference in the communities where Boeing employees live and work. We join with all Seahawks fans in wishing the team success on Sunday.”
The Gauhati High Court has ordered a villager in Assam to plant and take care of 25 trees as punishment for poisoning as many vultures to death three months ago.The State Forest Department had filed a case against Dhanpati Das of Kamalpur, about 40 km north of Guwahati, for lacing a goat carcass with pesticide that killed the 25 rare vultures.Initial reactionOn April 4, the High Court granted him bail after he had spent 28 days in custody under Section 429 (mischief by killing, poisoning, maiming animals or rendering them useless) of the Indian Penal Code read with Section 51(a) of the Wildlife (Protection) Act.Hearing the case a month later, the court made an ecological statement by asking him to plant saplings and nurture them. The man, though, said he did not poison the carcass in the first place.Green activists welcomed the judgment. “The man could have been sentenced to six months in prison. But this form of punishment should have a positive impact on the person and make him contribute to nature,” Bibhab Talukdar of NGO Aaranyak said.Tree per citizenMeghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma on Saturday announced on social media the launch of the One Citizen One Tree campaign ahead of the World Environment Day for re-greening the State affected by unregulated coal and limestone mining. “With the State fast losing its forest cover, the campaign aims at people’s involvement in planting more trees. All districts will be covered in the mass plantation drive wherein all indigenous plants raised by the communities across the State will be provided to citizens who want to participate in the campaign,” a statement from the Chief Minister’s Office said.
A STATUS HEARING BY THE NEBRASKA DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY ON BIG OX ENERGY OF SOUTH SIOUX CITY HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FROM NEXT WEEK UNTIL JULY 8TH, 9TH AND 10TH.THE N-D-E-Q AND BIG OX AGREED TO THE DELAY UNDER SOME STIPULATIONS THAT INCLUDE BIG OX COMPLETING CLEAN UP OF ALL DIGESTER SOLIDS AT THEIR SOUTH SIOUX SITE BY JULY 1ST.THE COMPANY MUST ALSO COMPLETE N-D-E-Q APPROVED REPAIRS OF THEIR EQUIPMENT AND BUILDING BEFORE THEY RESUME USING THEIR BIODIGESTERS.BIG OX WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ACCEPT TRUCKLOADS OF FEEDSTOCK MATERIALS FOR ITS ANEROBIC DIGESTERS UNTIL THEIR CASE IS RESOLVED.THE COMPANY CEASED PRODUCTION AS OF MAY 1ST IN SOUTH SIOUX CITY AFTER THE CITY OF SIOUX CITY DECLINED TO RENEW THEIR WASTEWATER PERMIT.BIG OX OWES THE CITY AROUND THREE MILLION DOLLARS IN UNPAID FEES.
“We are reducing our administrative deployment and putting more persons into operational deployment, so what you will find now is that there will be an increase in the number of officers…. on our streets to ensure that everybody has a safe Christmas,” he said. Story Highlights The Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) is assuring that adequate security will be provided in major commercial areas during the festive season to ensure public safety.Speaking with JIS News, Communications Officer, JCF’s Corporate Communications Unit, Sergeant Shaunjay Mitchell, says additional personnel have been deployed to reinforce security in the areas.“We are reducing our administrative deployment and putting more persons into operational deployment, so what you will find now is that there will be an increase in the number of officers…. on our streets to ensure that everybody has a safe Christmas,” he said.In addition, Sergeant Mitchell is encouraging Jamaicans to reduce the number of jewellery they wear and amount of cash they travel with by using credit or debit cards where possible.“In order to minimise your risk of being robbed or of you losing that cash by way of somebody picking your pocket or removing it from your wallet or purse, we advise that you walk with less cash. Avoid big handbags or bulky wallets or purses,” he said.He noted that persons should monitor their bank cards while conducting transactions, so that persons do not clone or duplicate the cards. “You must always be able to see what that merchant is doing to your credit (or debit) card,” he said.Sergeant Mitchell further advised that persons should use automated teller machines (ATMs) that are heavily trafficked.“Avoid using ATMs in dark lonely places…use ATMs within areas where a lot of persons tend to use, and use ATMs in public spaces where you have a lot of traffic. Once you get inside the ATM, ensure that you bolt the door behind you,” he said.He further encouraged persons to examine the machines to ensure that duplicate keypads are not placed on the legitimate ones.Meanwhile, Sergeant Mitchell is urging drivers to exercise patience on the road, while obeying the road codes and regulations.He urged persons to be alert of their surroundings, adding that if they believe they are being followed, they should proceed to a busy location and contact the Police immediately. The Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) is assuring that adequate security will be provided in major commercial areas during the festive season to ensure public safety. Speaking with JIS News, Communications Officer, JCF’s Corporate Communications Unit, Sergeant Shaunjay Mitchell, says additional personnel have been deployed to reinforce security in the areas.