first_imgJOCKEY QUOTESMIKE SMITH, OMAHA BEACH, WINNER: “He broke extremely well, almost too well, he slipped a little leaving there but man he settled right in behind them really nice. He was loaded coming off that turn, Mr. Mandella really had him ready today. His last work was brilliant and he ran the way he worked.”“He’s a throwback to those classic horses.  He can do anything.  Three quarters to a mile and a quarter.  He’s extremely fast and he’s got tremendous stamina.  When you need him to be quick, he is.  He can do it all.  The only thing that surprised me today was that I had to stay inside.  His last work was his best one, no question.  Today, he hit his best stride late.”TRAINER QUOTESRICHARD MANDELLA, OMAHA BEACH, WINNER: “He just does that for us all the time, he is a fabulous horse, I think little by little he will have the respect he deserves.“I’m just very relieved to have him back.  At the eighth pole, I thought we were (going to be) clear, but it took some race riding…This horse has a heart of gold and he’s got the greatest personality of any horse I’ve ever had.  I would say anything’s possible.“You never know until you run them back, he got a little fresh and hot going into the gate so that is always on the back of your mind. He is a very good horse and God knows how good he will be in the future.“We were just going to let him run his race, I took two weeks to make a sprinter out of him, so it is not like we practiced a lot, but the really good horses can adapt to whatever you ask.“I want to enjoy this one, but the (Breeders’ Cup) Sprint, the Mile and the mile and a quarter (Classic) are all possible…We’re gonna run in the Breeders’ Cup! For now I’ll just drink that big bottle of champagne and think it over.”JORGE NAVARRO, TRAINER OF SHANCELOT, SECOND:  “I really don’t know what to think right now, to be honest.  I thought maybe he (jockey Emisael Jaramillo) waited too long…What’s he looking back for?”                 NOTES: The winning owner is Fox Hill Farms, Inc.Fox Hill Farms’ Omaha Beach and jockey Mike Smith, Inside, overpower Shancelot (Emisael Jaramillo), outside, to win the Grade I, $300,000 Santa Anita Sprint Championship, Saturday, September 5, 2019 at Santa Anita Park, Arcadia CA. © BENOIT PHOTOlast_img read more

Hodges set to bolster struggling Waterhouse

first_img TRAINING CONFIRMATION Former Reggae Boyz forward Devon Hodges, is set to join struggling Waterhouse FC as the Red Stripe Premier League’s (RSPL) cellar dwellers look to turn around their season. Humble Lion have received a transfer request for the player, who has been training at Waterhouse for the past week. With Waterhouse at the bottom of the 12-team league with 15 points from 19 games, the club is hopeful of acquiring the service of the prolific striker in order to stave off relegation. “Well, I have seen in the media that Hodges is linked with a move to Waterhouse,” Vassell Reynolds, technical director of Humble Lion, told The Gleaner at the RSPL weekly press conference at Red Stripe, yesterday. “I had not seen him (Hodges) for a couple of days … after that I heard rumours that he is at Waterhouse. Then I learnt that a transfer request was made for the player yesterday (Wednesday),” Reynolds disclosed. Newly appointed Waterhouse assistant coach Shavar Thomas confirmed that Hodges has been training at Waterhouse. “He (Hodges) is in training with us. However, he is not in the plans to play in the next game,” Thomas added. However, when contacted yesterday Waterhouse president Fitzroy Vidal told The Gleaner that he could not confirm whether Hodges will be heading to the Drewsland-based club. “We are in discussions and negotiations with clubs. We are talking to clubs associated with several players but (we) are not yet ready to make anything public,” Vidal said. The 31-year-old striker has won the Leading Goalscorer award and Player of the Season at Rivoli United. He also represented Wadadah FC and Tivoli Gardens in the local national league. He also played overseas for Song Lam Nghe An and TDCS Dong Thap in Vietnam. Hodges represented Jamaica six times and scored in two international friendly games.last_img read more

Golovkin and Alvarez deliver classic middleweight fight

first_imgOSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Golovkin has 19 straight title defences and now needs just one more victory to tie Bernard Hopkins for the most middleweight title defences in a row at 20.Golovkin waited a long time to get his first fight on boxing’s biggest stage in the United States. He has fought in 22 cities and seven different countries but never before in Sin City.This fight should have already happened and Golovkin had to push hard to get a deal. But it was left to marinate until there was no other option for Alvarez, who was fighting for just the second time over 155-pounds.Golovkin wasn’t going to let anything distract him while training for this fight. He even missed the birth of his daughter on September 8 because he was in the gym training for the fight. His wife, Alina, gave birth to the couple’s second child.While Golovkin plans to enjoy more time with his expanding family, Alvarez is going to take several months off.“I am going to rest for the rest of the year and we will fight again next year,” he said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Golovkin is considered one of the fittest athletes in boxing and he needed every ounce of that conditioning and every extra breath of air to withstand the force of Alvarez’s body and head punches. Alvarez says he would use his rematch clause for a second fight against knockout king Golovkin, who has now gone the distance his last two fights. In March, he had his streak of 23 consecutive knockouts snapped when he outpointed Daniel Jacobs.Some said Golovkin was showing his age as Jacobs had an unexpected surge over the final three rounds before losing by a narrow decision. Alvarez doesn’t think Golovkin is ripe for the picking but says he might have lost some of the fear factor.“He has a different power than others I have faced,” Alvarez said of Golovkin. “But he is not the monster everybody is talking about. I didn’t feel that.”ADVERTISEMENT A costly, catty dispute finally settled Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Desiderio ends shooting slump with career game vs UE Canelo Alvarez (L) exchanges blows with Gennady Golovkin during their WBC, WBA and IBF middleweight championship fight at the T-Mobile Arena on September 16, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada.Gennady Golovkin retained his three world middleweight titles, fighting to a draw with Mexican star Canelo Alvarez in a showdown for middleweight supremacy that lived up the hype. AFP PHOTO / John GURZINSKIThree-belt champ Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez look set to rule the resurgent middleweight division for years to come after their 12-round slugfest Saturday which fittingly ended in a stalemate.“It was a great fight,” said boxing promoter Oscar De La Hoya. “This is one of the best fights we have seen in recent years.”ADVERTISEMENT Golovkin, who was making his Las Vegas debut, and Mexico’s biggest star Alvarez delivered on all levels as two of boxing’s pound-for-pound best met at the T-Mobile Arena Saturday in a highly-anticipated fight that was two years in the making.The evenly-matched fight ended in a draw which meant Kazakhstan’s Golovkin would keep his World Boxing Council, World Boxing Association and International Boxing Federation belts.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“We knew going into this it would be a war,” said Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez.Golovkin will earn a $3 million purse and Alvarez will make $5 million.  Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson How to help the Taal evacuees End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MOST READ LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide DAY6 is for everybody View commentslast_img read more

Few voters, no verdict

first_imgAn election in which just 7 percent of voters cast ballots left Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s effort to reform Los Angeles Unified hanging in the balance, setting the stage for a brutal and costly runoff in May. School board member Jon Lauritzen, a former educator backed by the powerful teachers union, and challenger Tamar Galatzan, who had the mayor’s political and financial backing, will face off May 15 in a head-to-head contest for the District 3 seat. Unofficial elected results released today show Galatzan capturing 44 percent of the vote and Lauritzen 40 percent to represent the San Fernando Valley. Unaffiliated candidate Louis Pugliese came in third with 16 percent. Richard Vladovic, who won the mayor’s endorsement for District 7, won 46 percent of the vote in District 7, and will face a runoff with Neal Kleiner, who received 32 percent. Jesus Escandon finished out of the running with 22 percent of the vote. The seats are critical to Villaraigosa’s efforts to get his allies in four of the district’s seven seats, especially after incumbent Marguerite LaMotte – a vocal opponent of the mayor – handily won re-election to District 1, capturing 66 percent of the vote. “Smart, effective reform is what we’re looking for,” Villaraigosa said as he arrived Tuesday night at Vitello’s restaurant in Studio City, where Galatzan’s supporters had gathered to await election results that trickled in. “I’m not looking for the board to agree with me on every issue but I am looking for a board that has a sense of urgency – the same sense of urgency and passion you see me bring to this issue.” Earlier Tuesday, the mayor reached out to both Lauritzen and LaMotte, reiterating his willingness to work with them in the future. Experts say that indicates that the mayor is laying the groundwork for a possible defeat in the May runoffs. “He needs one of the two big ones to have a majority of support, and he still wants that, but in a sense he’s hedging his bets and that’s smart politics going into a very tough and competitive election whose outcome is unknown at this point,” said Jaime Regalado, director of the Edmund G. “Pat” Brown Institute of Public Affairs at California State University, Los Angeles. In the District 1 race, LaMotte defeated charter-school advocate Johnathan Williams to represent South Los Angeles. Williams got no financial support from Villaraigosa, but was considered a mayoral ally. Yolie Flores Aguilar, another Villaraigosa ally, won 59 percent of the vote in District 5. She defeated Bennett Kayser to fill the seat being vacated by veteran board member David Tokofsky. Lauritzen received about $475,000 from the UTLA, which advocates working within the existing system to rectify the school district’s problems, which include a lagging student test scores and a high dropout rate. At the same time, the mayor’s Partnership for Better Schools contributed about $1.13 million to Galatzan – including more than $210,000 reported Monday. Pugliese ran his campaign with about $7,000, records show. The UTLA also donated $450,000 to LaMotte, while Williams raised more than $837,000 from philanthropists, charter supporters and public-education reformers. The money and attention placed on the school board races far outweighed that spent on the City Council races, in which incumbent Jose Huizar raised the most money at about $315,000. And the high stakes drove a school board election in which more than $4 million was raised by the 11 candidates for a part-time job that pays about $24,500. Villaraigosa has said the school district has been resistant to accept his involvement in schools, driving him to work with the UTLA on a law that gave him a significant role in running the district. Assembly Bill 1381 was passed by the Legislature and signed into law by the governor last September. The school board mounted a successful legal challenge, and a Superior Court judge declared the law unconstitutional and barred it from taking effect Jan. 1. The case is currently under appeal. Although the mayor and teachers union collaborated on AB 1381 and agree that reform is needed, they backed different candidates, possibly because of concessions Villaraigosa made to the original bill in order to get it passed. Both the mayor and the union have proposed cutting district bureaucracy and diverting the money to classrooms; creating smaller schools and classrooms; and giving educators greater control over their campus budget and curriculum. Villaraigosa, who has raised more than $1.2 million for three candidates on Tuesday’s ballot, said Monday that the election is not part of a dispute with the UTLA. “They have their candidates and I have mine, but this is not about a battle with the teachers organization,” Villaraigosa said. “I have said 100 times before that I am here because of public schools. naush.boghossian (818) 713-3722 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Christmas shopping season gets underway on `Black Friday’

first_imgHowever, discounts still brought in early morning shoppers. “I’m trying to spend a little bit less because money is definitely a little tighter, but I like to get people what I think they’ll enjoy so I’ll probably end up spending as much anyway,” Kristina Morrison told NBC4 as she shopped at a Lakewood Target store. Black Friday is not the biggest shopping day of the Christmas season. That distinction goes to the Saturday before Christmas, when procrastinators finally turn out to buy last-minute gifts. The day after Thanksgiving earned the designation Black Friday because it helps retailers go into the black, the accounting term for profit. The frenzy surrounding Black Friday has prompted the Vancouver, British Columbia-based anti-consumerist group, the Adbusters Media Foundation, to declare today “Buy Nothing Day.” The self-described United Elves Guild of Greater Los Angeles will picket near the Farmer’s Market and The Grove on 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue to both promote “Buy Nothing Day” and the new anti-shopping documentary, “What Would Jesus Buy?” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsBusiness on Black Friday was a bit slower this year, said Jackie Fernandez, a retail partner with Deloitte & Touche, a international consulting firm which tracks holiday sales. A 3.5 percent to 4.5 percent sales increase is expected this year, compared to a 6 percent increase last year, Fernandez said. “Last year was very robust, this year it’s low, it’s not as crowded as it was last year,” she said. The sales increase will be the smallest since 2002, according to the Washington-based National Retail Federation, the nation’s largest retail association. The smaller increase is a result of the downturn in the real estate market, near-record gasoline prices and the recent Southern California wildfires, Fernandez said. Amid predictions of a smaller increase in sales than a year ago, shoppers rushed to Southland malls and stores today, taking advantage of discounts and incentives on what has been dubbed Black Friday, the traditional start of the Christmas shopping season. “We had hundreds of people lined up,” said Janet LaFevre of the Glendale Galleria, where some stores opened at midnight. “It was a very festive mood. We had a singing Santa entertaining people and retailers brought out their A game for the holiday season this year.” Aeropostale, which opened at midnight, offered discounts of 50 percent until 11 a.m. Mervyns enticed early customers with $10 gift cards for the first 250 people in the store and a $10 reward card for every $50 spent between now and Sunday. Up to 10 percent of all shopping purchases is said to occur over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. last_img read more

Police arrest 36 as more violence flares in Lille ahead of England v Wales

first_img1 French police have arrested 36 people after violence erupted in the streets of Lille ahead of England’s Euro 2016 clash with Wales.Flares and bangers were lit as officers charged at chanting fans, spraying tear gas in an attempt to disperse the crowds.Police used pepper spray against an England fan who ran towards them, as fights appeared to break out among Three Lions supporters.Authorities said 16 people have been treated in hospital but gave no details about their injuries.The two home nations will face each other at the Stade Bollaert-Delelis in the nearby city of Lens at 2pm UK time.Many fans are staying in the much larger city of Lille and despite bars being shut, some supporters defied a ban on drinking in the street the evening before the match.Some were seen climbing road signs and while English police – sent out to help with the security operation – urged fans to behave, French police charged at them repeatedly.Late in the evening, two groups of about 250 English fans each merged just as thousands of French fans were streaming out of the fan zone where they had been watching France beat Albania.Several hundred riot police formed a human barrier between the two groups. Some fireworks were fired from the French side and a few bottles were thrown from the English side.The police then charged in the direction of the English, spraying tear gas and causing a stampede, with people sprinting into side streets.Supporters of Slovakia and Russia were also in the city after their game in the city on Wednesday. Earlier in the evening, a small group of people wearing Russian Ultra T-shirts threw a flare at a large group of England fans who then surged towards them.The Russians left the scene and the remaining British fans were tear gassed, prompting them to hold their shirts over their mouths as they left the scene rubbing their eyes and spitting.In footage posted online by talkSPORT’s Stan Collymore, one man wearing a green hat was seen smashing wing mirrors off cars parked on the street.Collymore said: “Somebody threw a, not a grenade, something that went bang, towards some England fans and the England fans have just run.”MUST LISTEN: Stan Collymore’s first-hand account of Euro 2016 fan violence in LilleHe later pointed to a man who was pinned down in the road by police, and said: “You were throwing bottles. Yes.”French authorities said the arrests on Wednesday included six Russians involved in violence last Saturday in Marseille.Another five people were arrested for public drunkenness on a train from London that was stopped before it got to Lille and then allowed to continue.Away from the main square a group of England fans, who were comparatively quiet, were surrounded by police as they drank outside Cafe Oz. The officers parked more than 10 vans and a police bus in the square around them.A large number of fans congregated outside one of the bars near the Lille Flandres station, with dozens of police officers carrying riot shields standing guard.The crowd chanted God Save The Queen and England Til I Die, as well as singing “Where were you in Marseille?” towards the assembled police.Elsewhere a group of England fans outside the railway station in Lille were penned in by police when one of them lit a flare and began to wave it as they chanted.A statement from Euro 2016 organisers UEFA read: “UEFA regrets the skirmishes which occurred in Lille last night. Police forces made several arrests and were quick to restore order and keep the situation under control.last_img read more


first_imgCHARITY: A group of Donegal teenagers shaved off their luscious locks, but it wasn’t because of the heat-wave currently being experienced in the county – the lads did it for charity! St Johnston lads – Oran Higgins, Oran Allan, Corey O’Donnell, Ryan Higgins, Matthew K Clarke, Conor Allan, Michael Devine, Shaun Mitchell, Darren Coffey, Ethan Coll and Kevin Gallagher decided to come together for charity. They decided they wanted to raise money for the cancer ward within Crumlin Children’s Hospital, Dublin.They opted to go for a head shaving fundraising initiative, and they raised over €1,000 for the charity.A fantastic gesture from the lads, that will be greatly appreciated by all at Crumlin Children’s Hospital.The staff at Crumlin Children’s Hospital do incredible work and any support for the facility should be supported. Well done to the all the lads involved in this charity effort.  DONEGAL TEENAGERS LOSE THEIR HEADS FOR CHARITY – PIC SPECIAL was last modified: May 13th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:charityCrumlin Children’s HospitalFeaturesnewspicture specialSt Johnstonlast_img read more

The most likely outcome in every Premier League game this week, according to stats

first_imgNeed some help while plotting the results in talkSPORT’s world famous Predictor game?Across the globe, fans of the Premier League try and guess the scores in each game as they attempt to win some great prizes on offer. getty Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City 4 tense West Ham win – 24 per cent chance of happeningManchester United win – 50 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 25 per cent chance of happeningArsenal v WatfordArsenal win – 64 per cent chance of happeningWatford win – 15 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 21 per cent chance of happeningEverton v FulhamEverton win – 47 per cent chance of happeningFulham win – 28 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happeningHuddersfield Town v Tottenham HotspurHuddersfield win – 15 per cent chance of happeningTottenham win – 61 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 23 per cent chance of happeningManchester City v Brighton & Hove Albion Most Popular Premier League News Bournemouth win – 41 per cent chance of happeningCrystal Palace win – 32 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happening Guardiola-inspired tactics: Is this how Arsenal will line up under Arteta? latest Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT 4 changes Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? predicted revealed 4 whoops center_img Chelsea take on Liverpool for the second time in a week. How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion silverware England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Will Wilfired Zaha get the better of the Cherries? Man City win – 89 per cent chance of happeningBrighton win – Two per cent chance of happeningDraw – Nine per cent chance of happeningNewcastle United v Leicester CityNewcastle win – 40 per cent chance of happeningLeicester win – 31 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happeningWolverhampton Wanderers v SouthamptonBournemouth win – 42 per cent chance of happeningEverton win – 31 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happeningChelsea v LiverpoolChelsea win – 35 per cent chance of happeningLiverpool win – 39 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happeningCardiff City v BurnleyCardiff win – 40 per cent chance of happeningBurnley win – 31 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happeningBournemouth v Crystal Palace REVEALED Can Brighton rock Manchester City? gameday cracker SORRY Everyone has their own different ways of attempting to forecast the result and statistics are more often being used.One such producer of these is FiveThirtyEight but what outcomes do they think will happen? Find out below. Can Paul Pogba lead the Red Devils to glory without? West Ham United v Manchester United Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? 4last_img read more


first_imgA threat to cut off the power supply of sanitation plants at a number of housing estates around Letterkenny is to be raised at the local town council.The issue is to be raised by local Sinn Fein councillor Gerry McMonagle.Cllr McMonagle says a number of housing estates are having their power turned off because their ESB bills are not being paid by bankrupt contractors. The former Mayor of Letterkenny is to ask what action Donegal County Council Water and Sanitation Department is taking with the issue.Cllr McMonagle previously raised the matter when residents of a housing state received letters from the ESB saying their mechanical plants were being cut off.Donegal Daily has learned that such a threat exists with at least FIVE housing estates around the town.  FIVE HOUSING ESTATES THREATENED WITH POWER-CUTS BY ESB was last modified: July 6th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CLLR GERRY MCMONAGLEESBletterkennylast_img read more


first_imgAt the FAI Dinner/Presentation function last night in the Mount Errigal Hotel, Ollie Horgan and Dessie Kelly were deserving award recipients.Horgan, a St Eunan’s College teacher in Letterkenny and the manager of Ulster Senior League side Fanad United was the winner of the “Noel O’Reilly ” Coach of the year award.Horgan managed St Eunan’s College to Under 15 All Ireland glory in May and is also the manager of the Republic of Ireland Under 18  Centenary Shield team. Dessie Kelly picked up the “Services to Football Award”. Kelly, Chairman  of Letterkenny Rovers, is also the registrar of the Ulster Senior League and is a member of the FAI Junior Council.  FAI DINNER PICTURE SPECIAL: TOP AWARDS FOR OLLIE AND DESSIE was last modified: July 21st, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more