ARSON PROBE AS FIRE ESCAPE MAN ADMITS: ‘WE WERE LUCKY TO GET OUT’

first_imgGARDAÍ have launched an arson investigation after a flat fire which left a woman and her nephew being rescued by fire crews.“Someone set our apartment building on fire,” said Martin Toye.The incident happened yesterday evening at the Westside Apartments off Letterkenny’s Main Street. The fire sent thick smoke over the area.Martin and his auntie were taken to safety once fire crews had extinguished the flames.It’s understood the garda investigation relates to a sofa and other furniture being set alight in an unoccupied flat.Some residents had complained in recent days that the empty flat wasn’t secured properly. “It seemed as though the whole building was alight at one stage,” said Martin.“We were trapped inside and had to be rescued. It was a lucky escape as far as I’m concerned.”Fire crews bring the residents to safetyGardai, ambulance crews and fire personnel all attended the scene of the blaze.Gardai later said that those inside the flat were fortunate the alarm had been raised when it was.One resident said: “This is crazy. “Those people could have been burned alive.“People shouldn’t have to live in fear like that.”Martin said he had yet to speak to Gardai.“No, I haven’t spoken to them yet, but I would like to know what happened.” ARSON PROBE AS FIRE ESCAPE MAN ADMITS: ‘WE WERE LUCKY TO GET OUT’ was last modified: November 26th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:arsonfireGardainvestigationletterkennylast_img read more

Athletics’ Montas gets more than enough offense to beat Mariners

first_imgOAKLAND — Frankie Montas took the mound Saturday night for the Athletics, and had the full support of his teammates.As usual.Montas improved his record to 9-2, giving up two runs with one walk and nine strikeouts in six innings in an 11-2 win by the Athletics over the Seattle Mariners at the Coliseum before a crowd of 14,846.By the time Yusmeiro Petit took over in the seventh, the Athletics had a nine-run lead. Montas entered the game fifth in the American League in run support with 7.11 …last_img

Kushal Das and Sunando Dhar to represent AIFF at June 7 AFC meeting

first_imgGeneral secretary Kushal Das and I-League CEO Sunando Dhar will represent the All India Football Federation (AIFF) at the June 7 meeting of all stakeholders at the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.AIFF president Praful Patel will skip the meet where all I-League and Indian Super League (ISL) clubs have been invited to discuss the next course of action as Football Sports Development Ltd (FSDL), the organisers of ISL, mulls a longer league adding at least three more franchises to the existing eight.”Me and Sunando will attend the meeting in Kuala Lumpur,” Das told IANS on Monday.The meeting, which will be chaired by the AFC General Secretary Dato’ Windsor John, will be attended by the appropriate AFC Directors.Senior representatives from FIFA, as well as senior representatives from the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India have also been invited.Windsor John was recently in New Delhi at the invitation of Patel to discuss the future roadmap for Indian football. It was there that the June 7 meeting was decided.Currently, the AIFF and FSDL are in a fix on including city giants East Bengal and Mohun Bagan in the newly planned longer league as both outfits have not submitted the bid documents, refusing to budge from their three-point demands.The two bigwigs have refused to pay franchise fee of Rs 15 crore and have also asked for money from the central revenue pool and said they would like to play their home games in Kolkata.advertisementIn a meeting recently with state body Indian Football Association (IFA), the clubs said the venue won’t be a problem as Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has said an amicable solution will be reached after talking to three clubs which includes ISL champions Atletico de Kolkata.The IFA is supposed to send a mail to the AIFF asking about the “roadmap”, which was promised to them by president Patel during the May 7 meeting in Mumbai.last_img read more

9 months agoLaLiga announce all Segunda Division matches available for free on YouTube

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say LaLiga announce all Segunda Division matches available for free on YouTubeby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLaLiga has announced that all matches from its second division, LaLiga 1|2|3, will now be available for free via YouTube to millions of consumers worldwide.Starting this weekend, the LaLiga YouTube channel will provide live English commentary from this season’s LaLiga1|2|3 matches in over 155 countries, bringing the competition to large global territories where no previous transmission had been in place. The regions covered in the deal include major markets in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas, with all content provided via geolocation. The broadcasts, which are due to begin from today, will provide a significant increase in coverage of LaLiga1|2|3, offering thousands of Spanish football fans around the world the chance to follow their favourite teams for free. For those not yet familiar with the competition, the channel will provide an exciting new platform to get better acquainted with the historic teams playing in the division, such as RC Deportivo, Real Zaragoza, Malaga, CA Osasuna and Cadiz CF.In addition to broadcasting the eleven matches from each game week, a 50-minute highlights programme will also be available to provide a summary of the major events from each match day.In Spain, matches will continue to be shown through existing broadcast operators beIN Connect, Orange, Telecable, Telefónica and Sky.Melcior Soler, director of the LaLiga Audiovisual department, said: “The way we consume live sports is being changed by a new generation of online broadcasters, and we are committed to using such channels to extend the appeal of our competitions. This move will strengthen the LaLiga 1|2|3 by bringing it to an entirely new global audience, in a format that we think will really appeal to the viewer.” last_img read more

9 months agoWillian admits ‘I don’t know if Chelsea want me to stay’

first_imgWillian admits ‘I don’t know if Chelsea want me to stay’by Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWillian admits he’s yet to hear from Chelsea about a new contract.The Blues turned down a £50million bid for the forward from Barcelona on Thursday, which would have seen £38m winger Malcom come to London in exchange. While Barca are expected to come in with another bid, Willian pledged his future to the club.The 30-year-old, who has 18 months left on his current deal, said: “My future is here. I have one-and-a-half years on my contract left, and I want to stay until it is finished.“I don’t know if the club want me to sign a new contract, but my focus is here. I would like a new contract. If they want it, I want it. I have been here for five-and-a-half years, won a lot of titles. I am very happy.“To play for Chelsea, you have to put your mind to winning titles every year.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

18 days agoProdl thankful for Watford return after falling out with Gracia

first_imgProdl thankful for Watford return after falling out with Graciaby Ansser Sadiq18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveSebastian Prodl has expressed his gratitude after making his Watford return. The Austrian started his first Premier League game since April 2018 in Saturday’s draw with Sheffield United.”It felt good personally, I’m blessed and glad to be back in competition at Watford,” he said.”I suffered a lot the last couple of months, with injury, with comebacks, also with being out of favour, I have to admit it.”I put on my goals that I want to be back for Watford in the Premier League, especially in this very very weird and difficult situation, get back with my experience to help the team out with clean sheets, working hard and putting that work load in.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

2 days agoNailed it? Tottenham boss Pochettino explains sluggish form

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Nailed it? Tottenham boss Pochettino explains sluggish formby Paul Vegas2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says a late start to preseason has hindered his side this term.Spurs snapped a three-game winless streak with an emphatic 5-0 win over Red Star Belgrade in North London on Tuesday.Asked if there had been an overreaction to Spurs’ poor form, the Argentine provided an excuse for their poor start to the season.Pochettino said: “My theory is we started late in our preparation. We used pre-season not just to settle our principles of play and build fitness, but also to build a dynamic of the group and I believe that was affected because we started so late (due playing in the Champions League final).”During competition to get that dynamic right is so difficult because the competition does not wait for you.”The most important thing is to stay calm and believe.” last_img read more

NBC has best ratings week for a network in 2 months

first_imgNEW YORK, N.Y. – NBC cut through the summer doldrums with the best week for a television network since the NBA Finals were seen on ABC two months ago.NBC was led, as is typical during the summer months, by “America’s Got Talent.” The competition show was seen by 11.8 million people last week, more than four million more than anything else on television, the Nielsen company said.Joining favourites like “American Ninja Warrior” and “World of Dance,” NBC added a new competition series in “Making It,” a crafting show co-hosted by former “Parks and Recreation” co-stars Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman. Its audience of 5.2 million people made it the most-watched new series of the summer, Nielsen said.Football, which will be a mainstay of broadcast network schedules through January, started its preseason with the Hall of Fame game, seen by 6.8 million people on NBC.NBC averaged 4.7 million viewers for the week, CBS had 3.8 million, ABC had 3.1 million, Fox had 1.9 million, ION Television had 1.4 million, Telemundo has 1.2 million, Univision had 1.1 million and the CW had 840,000.Fox News Channel was the week’s most popular cable network, averaging 2.34 million viewers in prime time. MSNBC had 1.58 million, USA had 1.38 million, HGTV had 1.36 million and Hallmark had 1.1 million.ABC’s “World News Tonight” topped the evening newscasts with an average of 7.8 million viewers. NBC’s “Nightly News” had 7.4 million and the “CBS Evening News” had 5.5 million.For the week of July 30-Aug. 5, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships: “America’s Got Talent,” NBC, 11.83 million; “60 Minutes,” CBS, 7.54 million; NFL Exhibition Football: Chicago vs. Baltimore, NBC, 6.77 million; “NFL Preseason Kickoff,” NBC, 6.57 million; “Celebrity Family Feud,” ABC, 5.96 million; “The Big Bang Theory,” CBS, 5.86 million; “Big Brother” (Thursday), CBS, 5.62 million; “Big Brother” (Sunday), CBS, 5.57 million; “Big Brother” (Wednesday), CBS, 5.55 million; “Young Sheldon,” CBS, 5.5 million.___ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. CBS is owned by CBS Corp. CW is a joint venture of Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp. Fox is owned by 21st Century Fox. NBC and Telemundo are owned by Comcast Corp. ION Television is owned by ION Media Networks.___Online:http://www.nielsen.comlast_img read more

Second Annual Peace Fusion Dance Showcase

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Peace Fusion Dance Company (PFDC) will be showcasing a repertoire of their dance numbers at their second Annual Dance Showcase.The Peace Fusion Dance Showcase is a way to share with the community the competitive dances the Company has been developing and working on prior to attending dance competitions they will be attending this year across North America.The Showcase will be at the North Peace Cultural Centre on Saturday, January 26 at 7:00 PM. The cost for Adults is $25 and Children are $12. There will be various styles of dance including tap, modern, lyrical, ballet, hip hop and more.To purchase a ticket for the Event CLICK HERE To view, the FB Event Page CLICK HEREPFDC is made up of dancers from both Fort Nelson to High Prairie who train at 8 different studios in 5 different towns. They will be joined by local dance studios including Studio 2 Stage Dance Academy, Alchemy Dance Collective, North Peace Gymnastics Association, Kiwanis Performing Arts, Watt School of Irish Dance, Dawson Creek Dance Company, and Ashlie Jmayoff Dance who will also perform a number of pieces from their competition repetiore.To view, the FB Page CLICK HERElast_img read more

Was told I wasnt good enough

first_imgNew Delhi: She made a stunning debut with Dangal, but Fatima Sana Shaikh says getting a perfect launch pad was not a cakewalk as people told her she did not have the “looks” of a heroine like Deepika Padukone and Katrina Kaif. Fatima, who started her journey in the movies as a child actor with Kamal Haasan’s 1997 film Chachi 420, says the rejections shifted her focus from waiting for a conventional lead role to searching for a good character. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: Priyanka”I have been a child actor. I quit but making a comeback after that was difficult. I was not getting any work. People used to tell me I don’t look like Deepika Padukone or Katrina Kaif. They said, since I didn’t have the looks of a heroine, I should do whatever I’m offered. There have been many incidents where I was told that I was not good enough,” Fatima said. The actor says her desire to perform in front of the camera was so strong that she did not pay heed to what people thought of her. Also Read – Salman Khan remembers actor Vinod Khanna”I only had acting on my mind. The reason why I used to go for every audition was because I would get to perform in front of the camera, even if the set-up was small.” The success of Aamir Khan-starrer Dangal, however, made things easier for Fatima as it gave her the option to choose. “Before Dangal, I never had the chance to choose my projects. I even did ‘Dangal’ because that was my only option at that time. Every actor goes through this. That’s how things function. But I am happy that post the film and especially after ‘Thugs of Hindostan’, I have the space to choose,” she says. Citing an example of Rajkummar Rao, her co-star from Anurag Basu’s upcoming anthology, the actor says there is no formula for success. “There is no single rule that applies to everyone. But now there are so many opportunities because of Netflix, Amazon and other platforms. Influx of different mediums has given actors a lot more options.” Fatima says even though her aim is to establish herself as a sought-after performer, she does not believe in planning “too much”. “Where I want to reach it might take two or maybe six years. But I am happy that at least I’m on my way.”last_img read more