Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 36-year-old Oceanside man was shot to death in Valley Stream over the weekend, Nassau County police said.Fifth Precinct officers responded to AL Mini Mart on Ocean Avenue, where they discovered Edwin Lopez suffering from gunshot wounds at 10:40 p.m. Friday, police said.The victim was taken to Franklin General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead and hour later. Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about this incident to call Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
Bolsonaro tests negative As governments worldwide struggle to contain the virus despite long and economically crippling lockdowns imposed on millions of people, a new survey suggested that faith in authorities is dwindling in six rich nations.Populations in France, Germany, Britain, Japan, Sweden and the US widely believed death and infection figures to be higher than recorded, according to the study, which polled 1,000 people in each nation.”In most countries this month, support for national governments is falling,” said the report by the Kekst CNC communications consultancy.One world leader widely criticized over his handling of the pandemic is Brazil’s Bolsonaro, who was diagnosed with coronavirus on July 7.Bolsonaro, who has downplayed what he calls “a little flu”, announced on Twitter Saturday that he had finally tested negative.In a photo accompanying the statement, he was pictured holding a packet of hydroxychloroquine, whose effectiveness against COVID-19 has not been demonstrated in clinical trials.Brazil’s biggest city Sao Paulo on Saturday said it was indefinitely postponing its 2021 carnival. Hours later, Rio de Janeiro cancelled its New Year’s Eve festivities.Thousands of Israelis protested Saturday in Jerusalem and other cities including Tel Aviv, demanding Netanyahu’s resignation over his government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.They were also objecting to a new law that gives the government special powers to fight the spread of the virus until the end of 2021. There were more than 280,000 new cases recorded globally on both Thursday and Friday, the highest daily rises since the virus emerged in China late last year, according to an AFP count based on official sources — an alarming uptick in the spread of the virus.Nearly a third of the world’s 15.8 million infections have been registered since July 1, while the total death toll nears 640,000. The World Health Organization said more than a million cases had been recorded in each of the last five weeks, “with over 280,000 being reported on July 24 alone”. “While no country is unaffected, this rise is driven by high transmission in large and populous countries in the Americas and South Asia,” it said in a statement on Saturday. A survey released Saturday showed governments are fast losing support for their handling of the coronavirus pandemic, as health officials recorded a surge of more than 280,000 new cases globally two days in a row.Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, widely criticized for his handling of the crisis there, appeared to credit an unproven treatment for his recovery from the virus.And in the streets of Jerusalem and other cities, thousands called for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to resign, in part for his management of the coronavirus crisis. Brazil and India had recently reported their highest daily increases, it added, while the figures remained worryingly high in the United States and South Africa — where Trade Minister Ebrahim Patel tested positive for the virus Saturday.The US, still the hardest-hit nation, on Friday reported its second straight day of more than 70,000 new cases and over 1,000 deaths as the virus surges in the south and west. Topics : Fresh clusters Fresh clusters, meanwhile, were emerging across Asia.South Korea on Saturday reported its highest infections figure in nearly four months, while Vietnam recorded its first locally transmitted case in nearly 100 days.Officials in China said they would introduce fresh measures and testing in the port city of Dalian, home to about six million people, after detecting fresh infections thee.That did not prevent the Chinese Super League kicking off behind closed doors on Saturday. Players of Guangzhou Evergrande and Shanghai Shenhua observed a minute’s silence for the victims of the pandemic.Europe remains the hardest-hit continent, accounting for a fifth of the world’s case count.Belgium said Saturday it could further tighten its restrictions following the death of a three-year-old girl, the country’s youngest victim of the virus.Recent outbreaks in the Spanish regions of Aragon and Catalonia have led to fresh curbs on daily life.Many tourists were nevertheless reluctant to cancel their plans. “If we cancelled our holiday, which has been planned since February, we would lose the rental money,” said Fanny Lievens, on route with her family to Catalonia from the southern French city of Montpellier.In France, where infections have been rising, Prime Minister Jean Castex announced on-the-spot testing for travellers arriving from 16 high-risk nations.But he told Nice Matin newspaper he wanted above all else to avoid returning to a full lockdown because of the economic damage it did — and the psychological harm that many people suffered.Britain meanwhile has made it compulsory to wear a face covering in shopping centers, banks, takeaway outlets, sandwich shops and supermarkets.And it announced Saturday it was reimposing two weeks of self-isolation on travellers arriving from Spain after a surge in cases there.
“The forex reserves level will remain adequate, supported by stability and a positive outlook for the economy, in line with various policy responses to push for economic recovery.”The government faces a daunting task as it looks to raise Rp 900.4 trillion from the issuance of sovereign debt papers in the July-December period to cover for its budget deficit of 6.34 percent of gross domestic product as tax collection and proceeds from nontax income fell amid slowing economic activity due to the coronavirus pandemic.It previously planned to raise $5.5 billion in loans from multilateral organizations.The government has collected Rp 601.9 trillion in tax income as of July, down 14.7 percent year-on-year (yoy) and around 50 percent from this year’s target. Meanwhile, nontax income from oil and gas amounted to Rp 44 trillion as of July, down 34.8 percent yoy. Indonesia’s foreign exchange (forex) reserves soared to a record high in August mainly due to the government’s foreign borrowing, proceeds from oil and gas, as well as tax collection, Bank Indonesia has announced.The nation’s forex reserves rose by US$1.9 billion to $137 billion, surpassing the previous record of $135.1 billion a month earlier. The latest reserves position would allow for the payment of foreign debt and nine months of imports.“Bank Indonesia views the forex reserves level as adequate to support external stability and maintain macroeconomic and financial system stability,” the central bank said in a statement. “Although the downside risks for Indonesia’s economy from the COVID-19 pandemic has declined, the risks still remain and that places some uncertainty on the domestic financial market,” said Bank Mandiri economist Andry Asmoro.The delays in foreign direct investment during the pandemic, which could trigger capital and financial outflow, would put pressure on forex reserves and the rupiah exchange rate, he added.The rupiah appreciated 0.14 percent to 14,730 per US dollar as of 12:30 p.m. Jakarta time after suffering heavy losses last week amid concerns over Bank Indonesia’s independence following a new legislative proposal to revise central bank regulation.Andry expects the rupiah exchange rate to be at around Rp 14,296 per US dollar at the end of 2020, adding that the country’s current account deficit (CAD) would narrow to 1.49 percent of GDP.“Imports are decelerating faster than exports due to postponement in production and investment activities amid the pandemic,” he said, adding that the CAD would shrink as a result and therefore support the country’s balance of payments.Topics :
The fundamental rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness have been courageously protected by millions of Americans willing to give their lives so that others may be free.On the 148th observance of Memorial Day – once known as Decoration Day – we ask that Americans pause to give thanks for the brave men and women who died to preserve our freedom.More than 70,000 Americans from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have given the last full measure of devotion for this country since it first proclaimed itself an independent nation in 1776.Many of these patriots are interred with comrades in hallowed memorial grounds in America, Europe, and the Pacific. They lie in simple country plots, urban memorial parks, unmarked graves, and among friends and family.On Memorial Day, and every day, we thank them for their sacrifice and acknowledge our eternal debt to them. We pray that the devotion to patriotism and citizenship they displayed through service to this country will never be forgotten. Through their deeds, we have learned to appreciate the freedoms that are the legacy of their sacrifice.A new generation of men and women in uniform have faced, and continue to face, their own “great task remaining before us,” on the city streets and desert sands of Iraq and in the mountains of Afghanistan. The proud contingent who today wears America’s uniform is tied to all other veterans by the same ethic of service in the name of freedom.Today we gather to demonstrate our unity, remember our losses, and ask that all citizens of the commonwealth recognize our unwavering commitment to a future filled with opportunity, justice, and hope for all people.Today, I urge all Pennsylvanians to join with others across the United States to demonstrate our gratitude as we reflect on those who made the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedom. Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf BLOG: Governor Wolf’s Message on Memorial Day (VIDEO) By: Governor Tom Wolf May 30, 2016 The Blog, Videos SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Promoted ContentA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MorePretty Awesome Shows That Just Got CanceledThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market Value5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?12 Countries With Higest Technology In The World13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hootCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World Bruno Fernandes believes Manchester United played well in our semi-final defeat to Sevilla on Sunday, but was left disappointed with our finishing. The midfielder opened the scoring from the penalty spot in Cologne when he calmly dispatched his spot-kick in the ninth minute. However, Suso’s equaliser and Luuk De Jong’s subsequent winner meant the Spaniards progressed to this week’s final. Despite that, United dominated large periods of the match and produced 20 shots, seven of which were on target. While Bruno was pleased with the Reds’ creativity against Sevilla, he knows United must become more ruthless in front of goal. “It was more than impressive performance, it was a great game,” the Portuguese international told BT Sport. “We created a lot of chances, but in football it’s not enough. “When you create chances you need to finish, you need to score and today we missed a lot in front of goal. Of course, if you keep creating these chances you will score next time. “Obviously, everyone is not satisfied about this because we want to go through. We want to win the game and be in the final, but it’s not possible today. Now it’s time to rest, to refresh the legs and think of next season.” Sevilla owe much of their triumph to the outstanding contribution of goalkeeper Bono, something Fernandes acknowledged after the game. “Of course the keeper did very well,” said Bruno. “He was amazing like [the goalkeeper] in the last match against Copenhagen. They were two very good keepers – we can say nothing about that. We can say that he [Bono] saved his team two or three times.” Bruno has already established himself as a vocal figure in the United dressing, and the 25-year-old had plenty to say when De Jong bagged a late winner in Cologne. Yet, the midfielder was quick to play down the on-field disagreement with himself and Victor Lindelof following the goal. read also:LEAKED: Man Utd, Arsenal to open fixtures of 2020-21 season “I think it’s normal when you concede a goal and you have 10 minutes to score,” he explained. “Everyone was mad and it’s not about me and Victor. What happened between me and Victor is nothing; in football that happens. “It’s looking for challenges and many more times these things will happen in other teams. The most important thing now is to see the mistakes everyone has done and to look forward and improve in the next games.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading…
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “Just kind of seeing where he’s at over the next couple days we’ll know more. He’s very aware we’re trying to be mindful of his and all our starters workloads.”Titan takenThe Dodgers claimed right-hander Dylan Floro from the Chicago Cubs and optioned him to Triple-A Oklahoma City. Floro, 26, was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays out of Cal State Fullerton in 2012 and has made 15 big-league relief appearances with the Rays last season and the Cubs this year, posting a 5.11 ERA with 20 strikeouts in 24 2/3 innings. In Triple-A this season, he was 3-2 with a 5.18 ERA and 1.27 WHIP.In order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Floro, the Dodgers moved outfielder Franklin Gutierrez to the 60-day DL. Gutierrez has not played since June 24 due to a recurrence of symptoms from ankylosing spondylitis, an inflammatory disease which Gutierrez has been dealing with since sitting out the 2014 season.Kershaw conversationRoberts said he spoke with Clayton Kershaw Thursday and continues to be encouraged by his ace’s recovery from a lower back strain.“The progression is still moving forward,” Roberts said. “We’re going to continue to stay diligent with the program the medical staff set out.”That means Kershaw will not be throwing off a mound “in the next few days, I can promise you that,” Roberts said. On Thursday, Roberts indicated Kershaw has been pushing to take that next step in his recovery.Kershaw is expected to rejoin the Dodgers when the team goes to Arizona for a three-game series beginning Tuesday. With the Dodgers’ entire training and coaching staffs on hand, that might be the time for Kershaw to test his back by throwing off a mound.AlsoAdrian Gonzalez and Rob Segedin were off Friday but will continue their minor-league injury-rehabilitation assignments with Triple-A Oklahoma City. Roberts said outfielder Andre Ethier could start his own rehab assignment “in the next couple days,” more likely with Class-A Rancho Cucamonga. Ethier has not played all season because of a herniated disc in his back. Since starting the season with a fastball averaging 94 mph and touching 96 – above his career norms – Brooks Baseball.net shows Wood’s average fastball velocity has dropped each month. It was down to 91.9 mph in July. Thursday, he crossed the 100-inning mark for the season and averaged 91.5 mph on his fastball against the Braves. Roberts also noted a lack of “late life” on his pitches.“I feel a little off mechanically in these last two starts,” Wood said Thursday. “It’s something small that I have to look at (on video). But I just have to get over that hurdle. I feel like every starter has that little hurdle at some point in the season that they have to get over and I feel like I’m there right now.”Wood said the issue is something “you want to throw through” and he didn’t think skipping a start “really makes a huge difference.”The Dodgers have three off days in an 11-day stretch beginning Monday, allowing them to give Wood (and the rest of the starting pitchers) extra rest in the next two weeks – or skip a starter entirely.“We’re going to keep an eye on him the next few days because there’s really no decision that needs to be made right now,” Roberts said. “I talked to him last night and he feels good about making his next start. There’s a little fatigue but he wants to go through the next couple days with his (post-start) workouts and see how it goes. NEW YORK >> Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said skipping Alex Wood for a start is “a possibility but it’s unlikely” despite Wood’s velocity and stuff being “a tick down” in Thursday’s win over his former team, the Atlanta Braves.The Dodgers have taken it easy on Wood this season. Only four of his 17 starts have come on the traditional four days’ rest. He had five days off before the start in Atlanta. He got an extended break in early June when the Dodgers placed him on the DL with sternoclavicular joint inflammation in his left shoulder.But Wood might benefit from another little break.Wood acknowledged he felt tired Thursday – something he called an annual “hurdle” that every starting pitcher experiences, probably exacerbated by the Dodgers’ coast-to-coast trip at the start of the week. But the drop in velocity has actually been a season-long trend and not a one-start blip.